Tang Police!

airforceman

I call the tang police, not because I have done anything bad but I want to make sure I don't make a mistake.
Ok so I'm setting up a 40g breeder reef tank. My question is; I've been researching a ton and it's very controversial so I come to you guys, so could I keep any type of tang in here?
Thanks!

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Airforceman
http:///forum/post/2615974
I call the tang police, not because I have done anything bad but I want to make sure I don't make a mistake.
Ok so I'm setting up a 40g breeder reef tank. My question is; I've been researching a ton and it's very controversial so I come to you guys, so could I keep any type of tang in here?
Thanks!
Nope. You can't keep any kind of tang in a 40 gallon tank.

M

markeo99

your gonaa get bad juju from the tang police thread I did but I'm glad I am not the only one

airforceman

I didn't think I could keep any tangs anyways so I'm not devastated lol.
I've just (unfortunetly) seen a lot of people with yellow tangs and such in like 30g tanks...

A

azul1994

It depends on the species of tang, some tangs like the kole only get to 6-7 inches where as nasos and vlamingis with streamers push 18 inches.

airforceman

There's a mated pair of nasos at my LFS. They're both about 12" and one with streamers is about 15".
$999 for the mated pair and $799 for one lol.
They actually posted on a secret forum that whoever came in to get them would get them half off if they bot the mated pair, the person just had to tell them that they heard the offer on the forum lol.

ophiura

I would like to call attention to the thread posted at the top of this forum.
Unfortunately "calling out" the tang police in the recent past has had very bad results and I would ask that it be avoided even if done with the best intent.
So I am afraid this thread will have a short leash if it starts to become "unproductive" as many many many of these do. I'm afraid it may start it out on the wrong foot :(

hammerhed7

Although this view is not popular with some tang enthusiasts, having a 3" tang in a 3 foot tank is not a problem, when you look at the scale of it's body size it's no different than having a 7-8 " tang in a 6 foot tank.
The real problem lies where people buy these fish with the thought of upgrading in the future, and as we all know there are many factors that can prevent that from happening, space, money, moving etc. In addition to this many of us become attached to our fish, and do not want to give them up, and this is where the fish suffers.
Personally I will not buy a fish that I don't have the means to house for it's life now, not as a future plan.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/2616185
Although this view is not popular with some tang enthusiasts, having a 3" tang in a 3 foot tank is not a problem, when you look at the scale of it's body size it's no different than having a 7-8 " tang in a 6 foot tank.
The real problem lies where people buy these fish with the thought of upgrading in the future, and as we all know there are many factors that can prevent that from happening, space, money, moving etc. In addition to this many of us become attached to our fish, and do not want to give them up, and this is where the fish suffers.
Personally I will not buy a fish that I don't have the means to house for it's life now, not as a future plan.
Couldn't agree more....Particularly the part about being able to appropriatly house a fish for life.

ophiura

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/2616185

I also agree 100%.
I in fact prefer that the tiny tangs sold today be "grown out" in a, say 30 long (a 3' tank) PROVIDED that it is basically the only fish in the tank and it is an established tank with lots of rock. This gives the animal a more "natural" opportunity to acclimatize to captive life and put on some mass and size before being thrown into a much larger system with more established fish.
But it is a special case, and most people are not actually doing this.

scsinet

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2616377
There is nothing wrong with a growout tank as long as it is just that a growout tank.
The trick is that a tang needs a bigger tank before it looks too big for it. That's what makes the idea of growout tanks or the "I'll upgrade before he outgrows it" ideas so difficult. You have to make sure before you go down that road that your priorities truly lie with the fish, and that you can stick to your timelines and goals.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2616382
The trick is that a tang needs a bigger tank before it looks too big for it. That's what makes the idea of growout tanks or the "I'll upgrade before he outgrows it" ideas so difficult. You have to make sure before you go down that road that your priorities truly lie with the fish, and that you can stick to your timelines and goals.
That is true, but hypothetically if I have a 1 inch tang in my 55 gallon while waiting for it to get to 2 or 3 inches when I could put it in a 240 gallon tank with 8 inch fish. That is what I'm thinking about.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2616371
I also agree 100%.
I in fact prefer that the tiny tangs sold today be "grown out" in a, say 30 long (a 3' tank) PROVIDED that it is basically the only fish in the tank and it is an established tank with lots of rock. This gives the animal a more "natural" opportunity to acclimatize to captive life and put on some mass and size before being thrown into a much larger system with more established fish.
But it is a special case, and most people are not actually doing this.
I wouldn't say only fish. Tangs, very much like Angels, IMO will benefit from a dither fish in the tank along with him. A singular chromis makes a great option, and I've great sucess this way.

ophiura

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2616391
I wouldn't say only fish. Tangs, very much like Angels, IMO will benefit from a dither fish in the tank along with him. A singular chromis makes a great option, and I've great sucess this way.
That is true...I tend to think it is one of the fish in a community tank (with like 5 others) and that I'm not fond of...especially small obnoxious fish

I will also add that I feel you should basically have the larger tank up and running before doing this. Not just the plan, or at the very least money is not now or ever will be an option
But for most people, money is an issue, and so when the next kid comes or car breaks...the option of a big tank is simply not realistic. Most of us I think are in that.

scsinet

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2616388
That is true, but hypothetically if I have a 1 inch tang in my 55 gallon while waiting for it to get to 2 or 3 inches when I could put it in a 240 gallon tank with 8 inch fish. That is what I'm thinking about.
Well who I'm giving a shout out to is those that put a tang into their tank whilst talking about upgrading down the road, using "future upgrade" or "growout tank" to justify the action. Such is fine, IF you actually intendon doing it. Most people keep pushing it... "Oh I'll do it in 6 months..." etc.
All is well if they actually do what they say they are going to do, going by more than just whether the fish "looks" crowded.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2616720
Well who I'm giving a shout out to is those that put a tang into their tank whilst talking about upgrading down the road, using "future upgrade" or "growout tank" to justify the action. Such is fine, IF you actually intendon doing it. Most people keep pushing it... "Oh I'll do it in 6 months..." etc.
All is well if they actually do what they say they are going to do, going by more than just whether the fish "looks" crowded.
Don't get me wrong I agree with you that most won't and don't for various reasons. Then they have these mysterious fish deaths and yet don't post their water parameters... You know the story.

ophiura

The other very sticky issues are that the tang may end up stunted in a smaller tank, so the hobbyist thinks it is still fine, when in reality it is not.