Tang Question

crazyaqua

I have been reading about tangs recently and i am trying to figure out when i should get one and what kind since i am new to saltwater i would like to try find one that is more hardy then the others. I know they have problems with ick and other diseases but i really want to try and prepare my self as much as i can to make the fish the happiest it can be also a 150 tank is good size for a tang right? thanks for any input :needhelp:

slammy16

I have a 72 gallon tank and i was told "at the most 2 tangs.. and none that get too large"
I did purchase a pruple tang the other day for my first one... i hear they are rather hearty....
I could have gotten a yellow but, to me it seems like everyone has a yellow thats why i went different....
Now... scince i have the purple.. i hear that maybe i could get one more... and it could only be a yellow, or a blue hippo or a Kole........ I really dont plan on getting another but, with a 150gal I would think that you could at least get 2 of the ones i mentioned..
Goodluck with your choices.. just remember to be patient and do whats best for you and your fish.

alexcarden

I would try to get tangs with different body structure. I had a lopezi tang and it was a real cool fish. the blue spots are very bright and at night it camoflauges in with the rockwork. I also like to naso tangs. they are big swimmers and are cool to watch.

I

ivanfj

A kole would be a good beginner tang. They do great eating algae. And for your first tang, try to avoid powder blues, achilies.

teen

if i was u i would look at a convict tang, or a clown tang. there both really cool, but im not sure how hard to keep, but u have a nice size tank so either will probably do good in ur tank. :D

jedi

I have a Blonde Naso tang and they are very hardy and very cool to look at..IMO. I will suggest that any combination of Tangs you get should be of different body types. They can get a little aggresive towards similar tangs.
with a 150,(very nice size tank) you should be fine with up to 3 in there. Again, as long as you keep the body types diferent.
Hope this helps.
Jedi

jedi

Originally Posted by crazyaqua
Yeah i was looking at the naso tangs hmm thanks again for the tip jedi
No problem If you get a Naso tang, look into a Blonde. and either way, they are VORACIOUS algea eaters. My tank has never been so clean
Jedi

gtiguy

By far the most hardiest tang in my experience is the Bonde Naso Tang....Very colorful and fun to watch and gets along with most other fish, being that my tank is fish only dont know about reef safe but am pretty sure it is.....Want to see a pic of my naso click First tank pics recently posted!!!!
Happy Fishing! (no pun intended) :happyfish

ophiura

A 150 is a good tank size for larger tangs...though if you can do 150 maybe consider a 180 :)
A naso (or vlamingi or similar) is not suitable, IMO, for anything under a 5 foot tank, and really we're looking at a 150-180g. They get VERY LARGE and are extremely active fish.
A kole tang would be a decent choice for a smaller 55g - 75g tank. If you have a 75g or higher, you can consider yellow, purple, scopas...maybe a small blue for awhile. But all of these should be moved, realistically, to a larger tank (5' minimum). Maybe if you keep only one, you can get away with it longer, but I really do not suggest more than one tang in a 55-75g tank size. If you have a larger tank, then you can consider combining them, but do some research on what kind you want, make a plan for the order to add them in, and consider using a QT tank.
No tang is really all that hardy, and need, IMO, a mature tank with good water quality. Ideally that would be about a 6 month old tank with lots of LR for grazing.

coralcrazy

I think tangs for sure win the award on the most discussed saltwater fish!!! Everyone has so many opinions on what kind to have in a tank and when to acclimate them into your tank. Very interesting to read back on everyones posts and how many different thoughts on tangs there are!!

1journeyman

I've got a Purple Tang and an Achilles Tang. Both are very active and very beautiful fish.
They definitely like to swim a lot though... from one side of my tank all the way across to the other (84 inch long tank)

murph145

i have a hippo tang ... had him for about 6 months now.... very fun fish to watch and adds lots of color to the tank....

cjason3041

i have a naso in a 55, almost 1 year, and he will be moving to a 180 in sept-oct he is fine with all other fish ( at least mine)... but he will attack you if he does not get his seaweed on time!!! hehe.. dont' worry no teeth...but funny as hell