Tang question

M

mitch24

I just finished cycling my tank. I gave back the damsels (except for 1) and got a trigger fish (very friendly) and a yellow Tang.
Reading this board, I learned that it is a bad idea to put a Tang into a tank before other fish. My question is, am I going to run into problems 2 or 3 weeks from now, when I try to introduce another fish into the tank? I would like to put a small angel in...
Right now I only have 1 damsel, 1 trigger, and 1 yellow Tang. I dont plan on adding much more than 1 angel, and perhaps 1 or 2 others... Should I consider returning the Tang now, and getting a new one as my last fish??? Thanks again in advance :)

the dude

I have a f/o with some other fish and a yellwo tang. I have some fake corals and some shells for decoration. I dont think it is a problem to add new fish. I just added a coral beauty and a flame hawk. the tang chased the coral beauty for awhile, but them just started eying him. After about 3 days, they were all fine. I would reccommend a good feeding before introducing new fish thaough because that seems to help. Also i like rearaging the furnishings in the tank. Gives it a new bit of variety, and i think it sort of confuses the tang
. Has to stake out new territotry
Sorry bout sepelling
Good luch

fishgirl

UH-OH!! All the fish you have now are agressive and the poor little angel will get starved out. BAD mistake putting in a trigger, tang, and damsel in first if you knew you wanted an angel. But the fish you have now are very cool fish!
What kind of trigger is it. You said he was friendly, so I'm assuming he's a niger or a sm picasso. You could add a panther grouper or puffer, or lionfish, or a diff type o ftrigger than the one you have now. But that's pretty much your limit now. Sorry about the fact you can't have a sm angel, as they are very cool fish as well. How bog's the tank??

M

mitch24

The trigger is a Picasso. He is among the prettiest fish I've seen in the stores

The tank is 75 gallons...
Maybe he isn't as friendly as I think he is
But, he is in there with the 2 other fish, and everyone minds there own business
When I had 4 damsels in there to cycle, they constantly chased eachother around the tank
haha
Anyway, thanks for the unfortunate, yet honest help

mr . salty

Thats not necisarily bad news. An agressive tank can be quite beautiful too. Lots of cool fish to choose from. I'm going for a community tank, but may start an agressive tank later. STEVE

mainejo1

Mitch, I have a 30 gal and a 90 gal, both with yellow tangs that were added before other fish. I just added a trigger and niger two weeks ago in the 90gal with a yellow tang, and she couldn't care less. You may think of either adding more rock/hiding places or rearrange what you already have when you add your new fish. Chances are if you do that your yellow tang will not even notice that you added new fish. Relax and keep up the studying you are doing. Just remember, nothing is set in stone. Don't take your tang back, see what happens first, and remember something simple like moving your rock around may make a big difference.

mainejo1

P.S. I guarantee you will have more problems with your damsel than the tang. Also, as far as adding a dwarf angel last, you did the right thing as they should be added last because of being more fragile. Turn your lights off when you add a new fish, and seriously, rearrange the tank, and I bet you will be fine. Let us know, and have fun!!!