Tang question

M

mitch24

I just noticed a bit of red, bloodish looking stuff around my yellow Tang's eye.
He seems healthy, but Im not sure if it was like this all along... I've only had him for about 3 days now :) Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks again

fishgirl

He probly has the start of what some call red spot, and I think it can also be called yellow tang disease. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. But whatever it is, my tang got it too, and this is how I treated him:
Isolate in QT/HT
Treat with saltwater maracin
Add liquid vitamins to the water weekly (VitaCHEM)
GOOD LUCK, it's a fairly easy to treat disease. My tang's never gotten sick again!

M

mitch24

I wish I could do that, but I can't set up a QT right now... I just don't have the room and resources for it...
Is there anything I can do inside the show tank? Thanks again :)

fishgirl

You can use the same treatment in the show tank as long as inverts are removed. actually, you may not even have to remove them, I can't remember. But look on the packet of meds and it will probly say. Unless otherwise stated, do the same thing as you would have in the QT. Much luck,
Fishgirl

mainejo1

Mitch, I have had great success with a product called Melafix. It is a natural product, pure tea tree oil. It is not harmful to fish, live rock, or invertebrates. I would try that before I would try to capture and quarantine, as long as she is acting OK. She may simply have scratced herself, too, so I would just watch her and not jump into heavy duty meds at this point.

reptilicus

Hi Fishgirl,
just to clarify Yellow Tang disease is blackspot, those tiny black dots which seem to appear so frequently on newly added Yellow Tangs. Black spot is caused by a flatworm. As for red spot, I have absolutely no idea, I have never encountered it before nor heard of anyone (in this country anyway) who has. But then again I'm not expert on diseases.
Regards,
Tom

M

mitch24

Thanks everyone...
It isn't really red spots

It's just some red around one of his eyes. If looks like blood. Other than that he seems ok, but Im not too sure. He's a new fish, and I don't have much experience, so Im not sure what behavior is normal, and what isn't. Thanks again!!!