Tang vs Tang

chypriss

i was wondering if you can place a yellow tang and another tang say a Naso tang together, or would the yellow tang beat up on him?

bill f

Most people will tell you that a 55 gallon is too small for one tang let alone 2. These fish need room to swim 6ft long tank is also recommended.
I have 3 tangs in my 90. I have a clown tang (aggressive,chases my convict around), a naso and a convict. I got them when they were relatively small but are growing pretty quickly. Both the clown tang and naso were about 3 inches when I got them 4-5 months ago. They are both now around 5 inches.
SO....
I just bought and received a new 180 gallon to be set up this month. I upgraded for the two fish and would also like to add more fish. I am maxed out now.
Good Luck but I would advise against it.

chypriss

I was thinking about trading in the yellow tang and get a small naso tang or blue hippo tang. Once they get to big then trade them in for another fish. Not to sure right now still researching on what i want to do. I know for sure im going to get a flame angel and i have the yellow tang right now, but i wanna add some colorful fish but yet at the same time make sure they are happy and not fighting. I dont want to rush into getting anything and kill fish.

jester805

I had a yellow tang for a while before I added my copperband butterfly. The tang chased him around all the time. I ended up trading in the tang for a watchman goby. I didn't do my research there tho....I didn't know that a tang should be the last fish to add.
Good Luck. :happyfish

fishcake

I have 2 naso's in with my yellow and they all get along great.
Get a naso thay have soooooo much personailty IMO.

ophiura

I think one tang in a 55g is enough - and it will out grow it. I prefer that it be something like a yellow or purple or small small blue or yellow eye. But no on the Naso- very active swimmers. Too small from the start, IMO. Not so much an issue of will they get along, moreso that it is just too small for that type of tang.

jacknjill

i had a yellow and the only fish that could stand up to him was a big 6 inch hippo that left him alone. however the yellow kept bothing him so the hippo beat him up to put him in his place and the next day the yellow had a big chunk out of his top fin. need less to say he leaves the hippo alone now

snipe

JacknJill I like your top secret tank size glad you changed expecially for this post could cause other to follow. Tangs should be kept in tanks 75 gallons or larger and if it is only a 75 I would only have 1 if it could even stay in that.

jacknjill

im not ashamed of my tank size. i just changed it cause im tired of people flaming me for having two tangs. i know they are not supposed to be in therebut at the time i didnt. but whats done is done.
also, its been like that for a little while now

ophiura

Originally posted by Chypriss
I was thinking about trading in the yellow tang and get a small naso tang or blue hippo tang. Once they get to big then trade them in for another fish.

Ah, but this is the tricky part. Often people don't want to trade a fish they have kept back to the store...especially if they have grown with them. And then there is the tricky part of "when are they too big?" IMO, tangs like naso, vlamingi, unicorn are too big for that size tank from the start...regardless of other fish in there. IMO, you are better off with fish that will fit that tank size. But you are doing the right thing in researching!