Tangs and algae

smus

i'm in the 7th week of cycling my tank with 12 damsels. three died during the process. i want a fish-only tank. i want some tangs like a powder blue, yellow, and sailfin. would it be good to keep algae to feed them? how do i keep it fresh so they have it every day and whould that be their main food? i would also like to keep butterflys and anthias. thank you in advance

imperator

I would use either romaine or spinach to supplement your tangs diet. Or use some of the freeze dried algae from Tenera( comes in red or blue). My tangs and angels love it.You still need to feed another food, either a mix like Formula One by Ocean Nutrietion or brine shrip. If you can get a steady supply of Calupera sp. to feed that is great. Keeping it fresh however escapes me, due to my lack of a steady supply of it. Depending on the size of your tank you may want to limit your self to just one tang. They may fight, due to they are all similar. Make sure before adding any of them, that your tank is completely cycled. Hope this helps.

kris

The freeze dried stuff is much better and does'nt go bad. you can buy dried marine algae, or grazer flakes, or frozen spirulina formula. Also add, like he said the formula one. Remember tangs need lots of room. And add ones with different body styles (like the naso and powders are oval, while the Atlantic blue and yellow are more circle shape) this will prevent most fighting.

smus

Originally posted by Kris:
The freeze dried stuff is much better and does'nt go bad. you can buy dried marine algae, or grazer flakes, or frozen spirulina formula. Also add, like he said the formula one. Remember tangs need lots of room. And add ones with different body styles (like the naso and powders are oval, while the Atlantic blue and yellow are more circle shape) this will prevent most fighting.

smus

Originally posted by smus:
i'm in the 7th week of cycling my tank with 12 damsels. three died during the process. i want a fish-only tank. i want some tangs like a powder blue, yellow, and sailfin. would it be good to keep algae to feed them? how do i keep it fresh so they have it every day and whould that be their main food? i would also like to keep butterflys and anthias. thank you in advance