Tangs and Halimeda sp.

barracuda

I like my Halimeda in the tank. But also i like tangs. Will tang eat the Halimeda? Are there anybody that holds these 2 together without any problem?

drew_tt

Ive seen tanks with halimeda and many tangs of the genera zebrasoma & acanthurus... never saw them munch on the halimeda, neither did the owner(s)... although, the tanks had a lot of other macro so I assume the tang would choose the softer macro over the calcareous halimeda.
Drew :)

maxi

I just purchased some halimeda last week. I have 2 tangs. They have not shown any interest in the halimeda. I have brought home calerpa in the past and they love it. It usually disapperas in a couple days. I think the halimeda is too course and big for the tangs.

A

alti

mine doesn't touch it either, but my sally lightfoot loves it.

fshhub

our koles does not make a meal off of it, but it looks as if he is picking other stuff off of it. So, IF he does, it is merely an occasional nibble.

barracuda

This thread was originally posted about 1 - 2 month ago. In that time i was curious if my purple tang will eat Halimeda. Fortunalely he doesn't. He has a lot of other stuff to pick at. But now algae seems to be dying and i cannot figure why.