Tangs are Impossible!1

jg24

Does anyone just plain give up on tangs? I just lost a kole tang. It was in QT for almost 2wks before it was ever added to main tank. It ate really good and was active in qt. Three days after putting it in the display tank its toast. It got ich and I dipped it for about 6-8 min, within hours it was gone. I don't know what I could have done different. All other inhabitants are fine. All levels are fine, it was active and ate well in the 55gal. I think I'll just give up on tangs. Cause I had to keep killing fish. However this was the first tang tried in this tank. Just had to get that out. Thanks

b_ball12_99

The other fish probably have ick also. They are just immune to it and the tang wasn't. Remember with ick, just because you can't see it doesn't mean its not there. By the time you can see ick things are bad.

goofieones

Yeah, you might want to feed the other fish food with garlic, to help them fight off the ich. Also I don't know if you should leave the fish in a dip for longer than 2 mins, but not too sure on that one. Some tangs are hardier than others. Purple tangs are some what hardy once they are established. Sorry about your tang.

devante

Goof, I see people talk about using garlic to boost the immune system of their fish. I tried to buy some from LFS, but they don't sell it. Can you give me a place that I can find some?
E-Mail Jarlee1@cs.com
Thanks.

b_ball12_99

Food Lion, Wal-Mart, Martins, ect. Soak your food in liquid garlic is a popular way of doing it. Or feed them the sliced pieces.

goofieones

Yeah, or GNC, you can buy liquid capsels and cut them open, but that gets messy, or you can buy the powder stuff in the capsel that will disovle in the water. Either way do a search on this bb and you will find tons of info on it.

the 55 aquarist

IMHO, I just hate tangs. They are cool and look really nice, but they are expensive and almost always die. Sure you might find a couple that live for more than 3 months in your expericnces with this hobby, but that's about it. Just recently I bought 3 yellow tangs. One after the other one dies. But My step dad had the worst, a 70$ Powder Blue Surgeon, gone in about 2 weeks. They all ways get sick or develope(sp?) diseses(sp?) like ich and kill the rest of your fish 200$ worth of fish gone on the same day. Whoops, sorry abotu that just thinking aloud again. :D But anyway i give up.(for now atleast)
Josh

kdlbem

I had the same problem with a powder blue tang. Did great at lfs for a month, within hours of getting it home, it was ill. After four months of trying to fight off disease, it was looking very bad. So I had to put it out of it's misery(I almost cried, that was one cool fish. Followed me like a puppy begging for food) But in the process, nearly all the other fish in the tank died. Part of the problem was due to my inexperience with saltwater fish(lack of quarantine among other stupid things I did), but I have heard the same story from lots of people. So I think that the tangs are just a very hard fish to keep. But I have not given up, I plan to add a purple to my 75gal reef after I completely finish stocking EVERYTHING else I plan to put in it(LR, corals, etc.). And after a four week QT ;)
B

shel

I don't have a problem with tangs, of course I do not have the hard to keep ones. I have an Ocean Tang, (I have had him for a little over a year) Naso tang, (That one for about 6 months). Thank god no problems with either.
Shel

goober

i have the same problem with my tang he died and he ate fine and the levels were fine and like 3 days later he was dead it was a mystery for me

kimcheee

Same problem hear-I musthave gone through 5 tangs, all dying of ick or worms-Kole, Purple, Naso, Sailfin and goldrimm. I feel all your pain. Purple tang came down w/ ick everytime after a water change and ended up taking out my entire tank and $500 worth of LR.