tangs in 55 gallons? which type if any

clownrico

i jus got a 55gallon, question is can i put a tang in? LFS says no, others say yes, websites say most likely. i see everyones pics on here and there are tangs or one in the 55's so im soooooooooo confused?? someone tell me somethin,

sign guy

a tang will be ok in a 55 for maybe a year then he will outgrow the tank
you really need a 6 ft long tank

watson3

Have three yellows in a 55..it is a long tank though, not a deep one...I think that may make a difference in how they enjoy it..

imurnamine

I would never put a Tang in less than a 75; much less three...
When they begin to establish dominance and territory, hell will break lose for you.

watson3

Like I said, it may depend on the length of the tank. These three have done fine for well over a year. Start small though. There are people that have not done it that dont recommend, and people that know. Really up to you.

imurnamine

Well, I work at a LFS and we have three Yellow Tangs in a 150 gallon. And guess what? They grew up together, and now they fight. So yes, I know from experience.

reefpercul

Ok the claim of a tang having to be in atleast a 6 feet long or 72" tank is just insane, if you guys visit {edit links} it will tell you what size tank you need to have for the specific tang you want to have, i myself have had a yellow tang and a blue hippo tang in a 40 gallon for over 3 years and they are doing just fine with no sign of getting worse, the smallest size you can have tangs in is a 55 and the only tang wich is really suitable for that size tank is a yellow tang or so the experts say but there is tons of people who have discredit that, i guess thats just playing it safe, in my 120 i have an achilies tang, blue hippo tang, yellow tang, purple tang and sailfing tang and its only 48" long.

imurnamine

I'm not saying that they CAN'T live in a 55.
I AM saying, however, that they cannot reach their maximum potention in such a small tank.
For instance, a human can live in a one bedroom apartment for his whole life. Never getting out, anything. Not to mention, he isn't the only one living in the apartment. Sure, it can be done. But would you be happy? I doubt it.

clownrico

man, sooo many people have an opinion lol i jus dont kno who to listen to,, my 55 is very long. so maybe one might be ok, but i wonder if the tang will adjust and not grow huge, like some fish grow to ur own tank size, instead of growing to its max like in the wild? hm

mryoung7

yeah, you asked a touchy question. people usually feel very strongly one way or the other. i've seemed to notice that only people who have a 55 and just really want to be able to keep their tangs say that it's ok. i'm SURE there are others who say so but that's what i've seen is the norm.
there was a good, lengthy, civil discussion of this very topic a few months ago. when this is discussed, eventually it devolves into, "well, i could stuff you in a closet. would you be happy then!?!?!
" but that was a refreshing exception.
my opinion is that a tang should not be kept in a 55 (with the exception of a unusually long tank) but that's just because i take experienced hobbyists' word for it.

mryoung7

Originally Posted by reefpercul
Ok the claim of a tang having to be in atleast a 6 feet long or 72" tank is just insane, if you guys visit {edit links} it will tell you what size tank you need to have for the specific tang you want to have, i myself have had a yellow tang and a blue hippo tang in a 40 gallon for over 3 years and they are doing just fine with no sign of getting worse, the smallest size you can have tangs in is a 55 and the only tang wich is really suitable for that size tank is a yellow tang or so the experts say but there is tons of people who have discredit that, i guess thats just playing it safe, in my 120 i have an achilies tang, blue hippo tang, yellow tang, purple tang and sailfing tang and its only 48" long.
i agree with imurnamine here. of course you can keep 3 tangs in a 40 gallon for 3 years but, to most of us, that's really detrimental to the potential growth and quality of life of the fish.

watson3

I think it really boils down to "a" what you can afford and "b" what you want to see when you look at your tank. Some of us are not as fortunate to work at a fish store, so we get what looks good to us and we make a decision to make it work.

nigerbang

just how big is a "long 55" I guess I have always just seen stand. 55's...I had a YT in a 55. Him and an urchin and a condi, sea apple..that was it..

sign guy

most 55's are 4ft long and tangs are a fish that likes to swim on the edge of the reef they are open water fish I would strongly recomend at least a 6 footer

dut

Originally Posted by mryoung7
i've seemed to notice that only people who have a 55 and just really want to be able to keep their tangs say that it's ok. i'm SURE there are others who say so but that's what i've seen is the norm.

^^ Quoted for truth. The only people that are going to tell you that putting a tang in a 55 is ok are
A- Trying to sell you a tang
or
B- Are only defending it because they themselves dont want to admit that they have a tang in a tank that is too small for it to be healthy.
You can keep a tang "alive" in a 55 gallon. That doesnt mean its healthy and thriving. You may be able to keep a tang alive in a 10 gallon, but rest assured at some point the tangs health is compromised.

sign guy

Originally Posted by Dut
^^ Quoted for truth. The only people that are going to tell you that putting a tang in a 55 is ok are
or
B- Are only defending it because they themselves dont want to admit that they have a tang in a tank that is too small for it to be healthy.
You can keep a tang "alive" in a 55 gallon. That doesnt mean its healthy and thriving. You may be able to keep a tang alive in a 10 gallon, but rest assured at some point the tangs health is compromised.

imurnamine

Originally Posted by Dut
or

Amen!

ophiura

Originally Posted by Dut
or

Excellent post.
IMO, if you insist
on keeping a tang in this size tank, the only suitable one is a yellow eye (Kole) tang.
The simple fact is this:
THese fish should
outgrow these smaller tanks within a couple of years, and if they have not, then they are not, IMO, "fine." YOU may be "fine" with it, but they are not by definition as they are not growing normally. And if they have grown and you are still keeping them in there...well then
It is a personal choice for sure.