tangs together?

69stang

i am a newby starting a 92g fowlr. i noticed that every body wants to get rid of thier damsels. why? and i wont be ready for fish for a while. i really like alot of the tangs i see. can i put a bunch of the easy to care for ones together?

crazyaqua

For a 92g you would be safe with one or two yellow tangs if you buy them at the same time also the reason why most people hate damsels is because they are the ultimate stressor fish any fish it can bother it will which stresses the other fish out and stress kills fish

whitey

Not in a 92 gallon tank.
The only Tang you should consider for that tank would be a Kole Tang.
People get rid of Damsels becasue they are typically very aggressive and pester the other tank mates.

whitey

Originally Posted by crazyaqua
For a 92g you would be safe with one or two yellow tangs if you buy them at the same time also the reason why most people hate damsels is because they are the ultimate stressor fish any fish it can bother it will which stresses the other fish out and stress kills fish

2 Yellow Tangs should never be put in a 92.
These fish should have at least a 100 gallon tank. You could get away with one for a while, but a pair should not be in anything smaller than 150-180.

tropills

Originally Posted by crazyaqua
You can have 1 yellow in tank
1 yellow you say ? I have 6 yellows, 2 hippos , and a kole. then again its a 180gal.

69stang

wow awesome tank! maybe i'll be there after i get a few years under my belt with the 92. i would apreciate any advice you could give me for a skimmer. im building a sump out of a 20g long tank i have. its from a lfs set up and is drilled in the back glass. just undecided on skimmer and external pump??? read so much im more confused than when i started. again awesome tank

lion_crazz

Yeah, I agree with Whitey on this topic.
As for your skimmer and sump, I have always liked ETSS Reef Devil Skimmers. Also, I would probably use a Mag Drive pump for your return, unless it is needs to be an external pump. In that case, my 210 is running very well with Gen X pumps. The Gen X 30 would work great on your 92. It produces 950 gph of flow.

ophiura

This is a corner tank, right? I seem to recall the 92 is. Anyway, I agree that there are no "easy to care for" tangs and putting a bunch together is not an option. These are territorial fish and can be aggressive in smaller tanks. Aggression and stress lead to diseases and loss of your tangs.

D

dboy999

just my 2 cents..i have a powderblue,a naso ,a achilles, and a kole they all get along fine however i do have a 400 gallon tank...i recomend one tang for a tank of your size ..Oh an dont get a powder blue very aggressive.honestly if i could catch him id get rid of him but that will never happen so he's stayin.he's a cool fish but very moody one day hes everyones best friend than another day he loves to mess with everyone except for the other tangs..

69stang

yes it is a reef ready corner tank. so being a newby i shouldnt get a tang. i just keep reading how damsels are aggressive so i dont want them. any suggestions on starter fish that wont be a problem down the road? thanks

D

dboy999

i dont belive in "starter fish" ...cycle your yank with shirimp from the seafood dept. at your local food store.Then be smart on your choices you make in the begining dont get any fish that depend on things you dont have yet to survive example fish that depend on alage to eat, ones that need pods etc...any fish that will eat frozen ,flake,seaweed etc..your fine to start with,an theres quite a few to choose from just read up on what ever you decide before you buy!!!an forget the damsels youll regregt it later an youll never catch them to rid of them

mopar9012

get a clown fish after your cycle. they are colorful and not a lot of money, pretty active swimmer too. JMO

S

surfinusa

a yellow tang,kole tang, blue regal tang you could keep temporarily

oceanbreez

Originally Posted by dboy999
i dont belive in "starter fish" ...cycle your yank with shirimp from the seafood dept. at your local food store.Then be smart on your choices you make in the begining dont get any fish that depend on things you dont have yet to survive example fish that depend on alage to eat, ones that need pods etc...any fish that will eat frozen ,flake,seaweed etc..your fine to start with,an theres quite a few to choose from just read up on what ever you decide before you buy!!!an forget the damsels youll regregt it later an youll never catch them to rid of them

I have a blue damsel left as I got rid of my starter damsels. Live and learn
I guess. I could probably catch this one though. Not sure what to do now.