tangs

liz s.

Yesterday, I saved a Sailfin Tang from *****...however, I have a yellow tang in the tank...they r not getting along at all...Will they? Or was this a big mistake??? Everyone still has his fins this morning...

townsdp

I have had good luck introducing tangs if I take the original one out, rearrange the rock a tad, maybe twist something or trade one rock for another, then reintroduce both tangs and leave the lights off for an hour. Those are the two tangs I plan on putting in my 75 gallon. good job.

townsdp

I have had good luck introducing tangs if I take the original one out, rearrange the rock a tad, maybe twist something or trade one rock for another, then reintroduce both tangs and leave the lights off for an hour. Those are the two tangs I plan on putting in my 75 gallon. good job.

clint_reno

***** does offer great deals on tanks, food, supplies, etc. But it would seem that they need to review their SWF policy. The one close to me keeps too many fish per tank. I've seen some sad situations with 10-15 damsels in a 20g. Many had chewed fins, and one or two had ick. The funny thing, if you could call it funny, was that several of the SW tanks were empty!
I did recently visit a different ***** several towns away, a much older store, that had decent SWF. Much better arrangement, with some thought to species compatibilities. Go figure.
:confused:

will

i had a sailfin and yellow tang together in my 125. the sailfin would occasionally pick a fight with the yellow tang. i think that was da reason for its death a few weeks ago:nope:

jkvjl

I think it comes down to the workers or managers that work at ***** near you. Do they have any history with saltwater or do they work with freshwater only. It's hard to find good help that wants to work for 5 or 6 dollars a hour that knows about saltwater. lets face it if your working for that you can't afford this hobby.:happyfish

tyr-sog

Originally posted by Liz S.
Yesterday, I saved a Sailfin Tang from *****...however, I have a yellow tang in the tank...they r not getting along at all...Will they? Or was this a big mistake??? Everyone still has his fins this morning...

I would give it a few days or even do what the other guy mentioned. Rearrange rockwork and if you have the ability to remove your established tang maybe take him out for a week then reintroduce him. If not rearrange. Goodluck!

donmgicwon

I got a 90 Gal. All Glass tank from ***** for $90.00 ($1/gal.).
The people there don't know much though, they try to sell you freshwater only stuff even when you tell them you have a saltwater tank (but now that I think about it my very salt water friendly LFS does too). I wouldn't think anyone in the retail industry would make much more than $7.00/hr so I'm sure ***** is not the only one getting bottom of the barrel employees. Pretty soon they'll all be in luck when all manufacturing jobs (including white collar) are in Mexico and China.

liz s.

not good. yellow tang now has red spots...going right now for add'l tank...gonna separate them...and rearrange...AARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not good at all...:(

liz s.

i'm afraid i've killed the one i've got...
sailfin is in separate tank...has white spots all over him...any suggestions???
yellow tang still has red splotches...but getting better...

liz s.

There wasn't anythign wrong with him that I know of...but we all know that ***** is not the best place to be if you're an animal. The tanks are dirty, dead fish are floating everywhere, and there are 50 fish to a tank. NO MORE FISH FROM *****.

wid

I do agree the condition in *****. but, i just like to say, some fish are even cheaper than on-line price, at least 25% lower than the other pet shop near me. that's why I do check them out every now and then.

stacyt

I doubt if those 2 tangs will ever coexist in a 75 gallon tank. Sailfins get large, and need more space than a 75. They may live together for a short time, but eventually I'm sure the sailfin will kill the yellow. He will also be very stressed in a small tank. This could cause him to have some health issues, and become aggressive towards other inhabitants in the tank.
To address your current problem with the white spots, take a look in the disease forum. Sounds like a case of ich settling in.
As far as ***** goes, as long as people continue to buy fish from them, they will continue to sell them. IMO don't buy from them, and maybe eventually they'll stop selling.

liz s.

Thank you. I, for one, am finished with *****. I will be returning their sick fish today, whether they want the darn thing back or not.