Tangs

scubadoo

Originally Posted by marshall
I understand what you are saying, but what is minimal? 120 gallons? How much do i have to spend to be considered politically correct around here? I'd guess the majority of people who have fish tanks have smaller ones than mine. If all the people stoped putting fish in beta bowls the fish hobby would go belly up. Then were would we get our tangs? Id say having a fish live for 2 years is a success! Could it have lived longer in a four thousand dollar setup? of course. But anyways, i userstand what you are saying and i am truely gratefull for the information i get on these forums. I guess i just feel like argueing.

You originally asked if the agressive behavior would return. You were given advice as to the reasone why there is a stron possibility it will return. You were also given advice regarding the requirements for these animals and the chance for success.
Politically correct has nothing to do with it.........knowlegde and assistance does.
You do not have clue as to what success is in this hobby.....which is why I have attempted to assist. With that I'll leave this thread as this is my last attempt to stop you from failing...but you are on the two year plan.
Best of luck once again.....you'll need plenty of it...doubt they will make two years...maybe two months if you are lucky

benter

Forget a tang..I'm with you about them..according to ,(seems like everyone on this website), if you don't have a 500 gal tank you should be hung at the tree in the center of the park...Maybe we should just leave them in the ocean if they are that sensitive to tank size...I've seen people get crucified on here for even having very small tang in a 75...I think I will just skip them and avoid all the cutdowns on myself, and just leave the poor little tangs in the ocean where they apparently belong!!

Lol i hate the tang police too bro. I read the tang threads just to see how much bickering about size goes on. Sounds like my wife lol

ricks280

marshall u asked for advise correct? well u were given it! but u refuse to accept advise
so why ask in the first place, people on this board are more than happy to give advise
based things that work and things that will not work, why risk? :happyfish

ophiura

Unlike the tang police, no one in this thread that I can tell suggested removing BOTH tangs.
FWIW, I am HARDLY a member of the tang police. If he had one tang in that tank, I would say "its OK for a couple of years." Two tangs is pushing it. I could easily say that I would rather see these quarter size blue tangs in a 30g (a 3ft tank) by itself with lots or LR until it gets some size on it. YOu won't find a tang police person saying that!
I don't know that these tangs will die soon, they may do fine. But they may not...in many cases, they do not. If you see a school of tangs in a large tank, you see normal tang behavior (slashing, establishing dominance).
Die hard tang police people don't give advice. None of them have entered into this thread. They say "NO TANG IN A 4' TANK EVER!" The calling card of the tang police, IMO, is no explaination, and little listening. It is why I don't care for true "tang police"...but people who disagree with keeping them in this situation are not all the same and should not be lumped together. There is a lot of experience talking. But apparently having a contrary opinion to what people WANT to do is raining on everyone's tank plans. So we label them "tang police" regardless and toss 'em out.
Advice was asked for, advice was given. These boards are for sharing opinions....and I'll tell you what, the opinions on keeping tangs in small tanks is not limited to "this board."

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Benter
Forget a tang..I'm with you about them..according to ,(seems like everyone on this website), if you don't have a 500 gal tank you should be hung at the tree in the center of the park...Maybe we should just leave them in the ocean if they are that sensitive to tank size...I've seen people get crucified on here for even having very small tang in a 75...I think I will just skip them and avoid all the cutdowns on myself, and just leave the poor little tangs in the ocean where they apparently belong!!
We are only trying to assist this member who obviously intends on risking the life of both animals along with his investment in same. .
There are several aspects one must consider when keeping tangs.
Tangs with the same body shapes often fight...this member placed two in a tank with the same body shape.
Adult yellow and purple tangs really require 6 feet of swimming space...this member has a four foot tank...could keep one of them for possibly two years if they are small. Tnags live many years in the ocean and can live the same span in a tank. They are free swimmers and love to open up and swim. Tow years is hardly a success. If you purcahse a juvenile yellow or purple then two years represents only a fraction of his/her life.
Since both are in a four foot tank and are very territorial....odds are they will fight...most likely sooner but odds increase further as they mature. No absolutes just tendencies more likely to occur than not.
In this hobby there are no absolutes as each animal has his/her own personality. If you wish to succeed it is always best to play the odds unless you wish to take risks and possibly watch your animals die.
many of us here have looged many years in this hobby...I for one have made many mistakes. I only wish to prevent others from making the same mistakes.
When you give advice with the best intentions...and someone ignores it this does tends to aggrevate folks who only have good intentions.
Attitudes change when advice is ignored. Simply do what you please but no need to thumb your nose at the folks that are trying to help. No one suggested a yellow or purple need a 500 gallon tank and certainly not everyone has taken this position.
I can assure you the advice I have given is based on my 30 plus years in the hobby and hours upon hours of reading throughout the years.
I have formed my own opinion but consider my opinion "informed".
IMO..anyone that simply ignores good advice and then proceeds to boast, post or brag about their intentions deserves any and all criticism.
Again, no need to follow any advice....be silent and do what you wnat. This way, folks that log hours here only to trying help those that wnat help will not get disgusted and leave.

kaotik

Don't worry everyone...marshall will be on here again in about a week crying because BOTH of his tangs died!!
Ignore good advise and pay the consequences.
Either get rid of one of those tangs or lose both of them. Dont make a stupid mistake!!!
And if your are not going to listen, then DONT ASK!!!!
Also, next time, do the research FIRST!!!!!!

marshall

lol, you guys take this stuff alittle too personal. It's cool, and i do appreciate the advice. Holy smokes some of you guys love to write novels on this board. You guys are right, and my tangs are pissed. Hopefully they will become friends!! If not they will die and I will not make the same mistake again. Love and Kisses, marshall.

ophiura

Gee, sorry :rolleyes: Only that some of us spend our time trying to help people, and that is not always done in one word :nope: Best of luck. You could, of course, take a tang back to the store....but its your money.

benter

the only thing I am trying to say is ..Doesn't seem that people make the comparison about age and size before reeming people who ask simple ??'s What is the difference in having a small 4" tang in a 4' tank, or a 10" tang in a 6' tank...you never know...maybe they have plans on upgrading their tank in the next year or so....I say give people a chance when they ask a ? before crucifying them...and you are exactly right it is not limited to just this board!!!