tank and sump

iidylii

Yeah you're probably better off going with a traditional fuge. Those reactors kind of like algae scrubbers are one more thing that need constant maintenance. And I question the size even having much of an impact on your size tank.

Those lights should be ok. Funny that they advertise them specifically for growing pot lol.
Right that's what I was thinking that there's just not enough to even impact the tank...now the next thing I'm questioning is I put my long spine and pencil urchin in my sump so hopefully they don't climb over into the middle chamber where the chaeto will be and eat it all

And yes I didn't even notice the pot thing until after I posted that link lol...I didn't end up buying those exact bulbs I went with some other full spectrum same style but 36w instead of 24w...should get them in a couple days...I'm gonna try and keep them a little further away from the top of the water because I have a feeling the condensation is burning out the bulbs that I tried in the past because 5000 hours should last more then a few weeks to a month lol

2quills

It's a wise choice going with the stronger bulbs. Providing equal or more par to your algae that you would corals is key to faster growth in order for it to be a viable nutrient exporter.

Scrubbers didn't start gaining acceptance as stand alone filtration until people started getting serious about the way they were lighting the algae. I'm convinced it's the same for chaeto.

Inspect the socket of your lamp for corrosion. If it's green or rusty get a new lamp. That's probably what's burning out the bulbs. Weak connections cause arching that over heard the bulb. Can always seal the base with electrical tape to keep out moisture or find some lamps rated for damp locations.

HTH

iidylii

Cool thanks so much for the help...I've bought a couple new lamps now because the saltwater corodes the hell out of them...ill have to try the electrical tape trick

iidylii

So this is the light I ended up going with for my chaeto chamber in the sump...any opinions on how far I should place it from the top of the water? It says between 1.5-3.5 feet ish...I know that it's talking about plants that aren't in the water so how bout for our purposes? I'm assuming 1-1.5 feet...that's where I currently have it at...Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NCEVI3V/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1494080983&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=36w+plant+light&dpPl=1&dpID=41vye00u6dL&ref=plSrch

jay0705

I would say as close as you can get it with out the sw getting to it. So I'd try a foot and see

2quills

Did you get 1 or 2 bulbs?

I have mine set to put out a bit more power than those do and they're 7" above the water line for reference.

I'd go as close as you can to where you're getting good coverage but not losing a bunch of light outside the sump.

iidylii

I just got one...I only have maybe a little bigger then a softball size of chaeto...I'm just afraid of sticking it so close to the water surface because it seems like all that condensation eats up my bulbs so fast...I did tape up the lamp with elec tape this time though so...but yeah I guess I'll put it as close to the water as it takes to cover the plant like u said