Tank cloudy ( not sure why. Please help)

jyeldell

Hello all. I have a 150 fowlr thats been running for 7 years. Have a 30 gallon sump also.
It all started about 4 weeks ago:
A) noticed outbreak of ich on several fish
B) being a fish only system i dosed tank with coppersafe
C) after a week, visible signs of ich were gone and fish were acting happy.
D) tested parameters daily.. All was well.
E) noticed tank water was getting a blueush green tint from coppersafe treatment ( at this time all my snails died off as well as expected i guess)
F) once all fish seemed normal , i did a 50 percent water change using reef crystals ( i normally use instant ocean salt mix but store only had reef crystals this time... I had nver used reef crystals prior...)
E) ever since then (about 2 weeks now) my tank is a hazy, cloudy mess.. Whitish haze.. Cannot see clearly from front to back ( tank is dbl sided)
What can be the cause of this persistent white haze and cloudiness? Since then i have run chemipure with no luck and did another 30 percnt water change to no avail.
Is it bacterial? Was it a bad batch of reef crystals? Should i do a 100 percent water change? Dors the use of coppersafe have something to do with the cloudiness?
Stock is two clowns, snowflake, foxface, clown tang, niger, clown trigger and damsels.
Please help

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeldell http:///t/396076/tank-cloudy-not-sure-why-please-help#post_3528254
Hello all. I have a 150 fowlr thats been running for 7 years. Have a 30 gallon sump also.
It all started about 4 weeks ago:
A) noticed outbreak of ich on several fish
B) being a fish only system i dosed tank with coppersafe
C) after a week, visible signs of ich were gone and fish were acting happy.
D) tested parameters daily.. All was well.
E) noticed tank water was getting a blueush green tint from coppersafe treatment ( at this time all my snails died off as well as expected i guess)
F) once all fish seemed normal , i did a 50 percent water change using reef crystals ( i normally use instant ocean salt mix but store only had reef crystals this time... I had nver used reef crystals prior...)
E) ever since then (about 2 weeks now) my tank is a hazy, cloudy mess.. Whitish haze.. Cannot see clearly from front to back ( tank is dbl sided)
What can be the cause of this persistent white haze and cloudiness? Since then i have run chemipure with no luck and did another 30 percnt water change to no avail.
Is it bacterial? Was it a bad batch of reef crystals? Should i do a 100 percent water change? Dors the use of coppersafe have something to do with the cloudiness?
Stock is two clowns, snowflake, foxface, clown tang, niger, clown trigger and damsels.
Please help
Sounds like it is bacterial. What are the parameters testing at?
How long did you treat the DT with Coppersafe? Did you run a full course treatment on the Ich?
It should not matter much with going from IO to RC, they are made by the same company, reef crystals just has a little more calcium and Alkalinity in the mix. What were the parameters before the issues came up? Meaning did you have high nitrates (above 20ppm) and phosphates?
Google treating a bacterial bloom in SW tank and see if it looks the same as your tank.
Sorry, I wish I had more suggestions for you.

flower

Wow...Coppersafe??? I was always told that any copper will kill inverts. That means you just killed your live rock. With saltwater there really is no such thing as a fish only system, unless you used fake plants/décor and dry sand.
For anyone else looking at this thread....never dose your display tank.
It's possible the death of your inverts caused an ammonia spike, which would cloud the tank...so do a test to see if that's the cause first. You may have started a cycle, but the fish would be very stressed if that were the case.
There are other things that cause cloudy tank problems...lack of enough oxygen, and the bacterial bloom. Open windows, run the AC, use some air lines (no stone) to get oxygen really flowing, make the top of the tank look like it's boiling. The good news is if it is a bacterial bloom, the extra oxygen will help it run it's course and return to normal faster. The extra oxygen will also clear things up if that turns out to be the problem. If the ammonia is the cause, a little prime should bind it up enough to keep the fish alive.
I feel your pain...I hope this helps.

beaslbob

I would partition the tank with some egg crate. Just a small area. And use the area between the egg crate and glass to grow macro algae like chaetomorphia. And add some horizontal lighting to keep the macros happy.
then kill the main lights and stop adding food for a few days.
Tank should clear up quickly.
then resume with less lights and feeding.
Baciaslly IMHO you got a matrue tank out of balance and the macros along with the lighting and feeding adjustments will help to rapidily rebalance the system.
my .02

beaslbob

Or if you have a refugium in the sump then just kill the lights and suspend feeding. (
Missed that at first.
If not then setup a refugium as part of the sump and add lights for macros.
my .000002

jyeldell

Thanks all. Prior to the large wc i had high ammonia 1.5 so its possible the copper caused the die off on the rock which in turn caused the cloud?