Tank crash!! So disgusted!!

lbannie

I've been working 13 hour days lately and my tank has been suffering. My water became very cloudy and my mushrooms were melting. I lost two fish. I have this horrible dark green brown slimy algae on everything! So today's project is redoing the tank. I put all the rocks into a bucket with the salt water. And put that remaining fish and inverts in a bucket full of fresh salt water. I think I'm going to get new sand because the sand that's in the tank is disgusting. I've saved the corals that look good but I'm not sure about the mushrooms. It seems like this all happened overnight, but I think it's been building from my neglect. At least this is giving me the time to really scrape the glass on the tank. I'm pretty much starting from scratch minus the rocks so I hope I don't kill what's left! We'll see????????????

btldreef

That sucks! Hopefully the rocks will be enough, and they should. I have upgraded tanks overnight by moving my established rocks and seeding the sand. Just brush the rocks off a little to get any bad algae off them first.
Good luck!

lbannie

Thanks! I was thinking of only using a few of the rocks are cleanest. Then boiling the rest. There's quite a few bristle worms in them. I ended up going with the TAhitian moon black sand. Then a read horror stories about it! I have to stop reading on the Internet!!
I have a lot of dry rock leftover I might use now. What a project this is!!

lbannie

Well. So far so good. Everyone that was left seems good. My coral beauty that was on her side near death seems to be pulling through! I'm liking the black sand so far. Really makes the colors stand out. The corals I saved are perking up as well. I wish I took a before pic, but I'll post some pics after