Tank Crash

mn1467

Ok here it goes my tank crashed. I had ich on some of my fish. So I tried HYPO. All fish but 2 died. Corals closed up mushrooms are wasting away. snails are dying off shrimp and hermits look fine. Serpent stars no longer hide under rocks and are out in the open even when the light are on full blast. All my levels are back to normal. ammonia nitrite nitrate calcium normal SG 1.025. Dont know what else to do. After I noticed my corals started dying I did a huge water change about 80%. two days later I did a 10 gallon change. My torch coral started to open up again my green star polyps are opening. My orange zoos still will not open. my mushrooms look like garbage and my green ricordea look fine . Anything else I can do??????
:help: :help: :help:

darth tang

Hypo is not invert safe!!!!! It should never be done in the main tank. Getting your salinity back up was your only option. But you have to do this slowly....so I doubt it will save much of anything that isn't already coming back around. Your inverts are basically in acclimation shock.

mn1467

I read the thread on this website about hypo. I must have skipped the $%#@ing first paragraph. Man am I an idiot

matty0h_52

I agree with Darth Tang...Know all you can do is just sit back and hope for the best. Make shure all your SG dosent go off the charts again (under the charts more like). and make shure to keep the Nitrate and Ammonia in check. cause if things start dieing off it gana have to be taken care of fast. IMO

matty0h_52

its cool as long as you learn from it and apply it. we have all done something that we look back and go "what the hell was i thinking"

shnabbles

You can actually drop your salinity to 1.017 and your inverts can still survive, iv heard Ich can not handle salinity that low.
Just be sure to use a refractometer and not a hydrometer!

mn1467

Out of all my inverts about 90% of my snails died corals still look shot I have 4 shrimp in there and they are all alive and looking well

mn1467

UPDATE ON MY TANK CRASH
Ok here it goes. My torch coral opened up fully. my zoos still closed but close tighter when touched. My mushrooms are still looking sickly but I see new ones popping up.
My leather toadstool is totally shot
My levels are this (Checked last night)
Amm .25 ( I am assuming this jumped after I did the huge water change)
nitrite 0
nitrate .2
ph 8.4
sg 1.025
temp 81
calcium 400ppm
I am doing 15 gallon water changes every other day to get ammonia down
it was .5 the other day
I will try and post some pics tonight so people can see what I am talking about