tank cycled...adding fish(es)!!!

mchandler

Ok, so my tank has cycled...it's been up and running for 2 months now with just 4 green chromis and 2 yellow tailed damsels. Ammonia and Trites are 0, and trates are 15...now I'm ready to add some fish!!!! It's a 135G FO tank. 3inches CC, 1 inch LS
I'd like to add some false percs, a yellow tang, regal tang...I have all these ideas, but I don't want to rush it...
Is it ok to add 3-4 false percs to begin with? Is that too much? Also...can I add some anemone later on without a problem? I'm just eager to start adding these guys!!!

killafins

i would probably do two false percs for now. Give them a week or two and then add some more. If you want to go nuts, go nuts with a cleaner crew, that's what helped me, lol

twicklund

I have added two fish at a time before, but now four. Also, my tank is well established. With a new tank recently cycled, I would add one fish at a time, with at least two weeks between.
With a tank that size, you could probably get away with two smaller fish at a time (percs, for example). Personally, I wouldn't do more then that, but I tend to be on the more cautious side.
HTH.
tw

birdy

Just a little tip that may save you lots of trouble later, set up a quarantine tank and quarantine any new fish for min 2wks. Also if you want to have two clownfish in your tank add them together, you shouldn't have any problems with adding two small percs at the same time.

mchandler

cool...thanks guys. Is there any problem with adding some anemone later? Will the percs still take to it? What's the best way to pick a breeding pair? Is it luck? Thanks!