Tank cycling

carrie1429

I have heard many different answers on how long it takes a tank to cycle, but what is the best amount of weeks that is ideal for the fish and clean-up-crew, 3 weeks, 1 month? I have heard so many opinions I am not sure how long to let my tank cycle for. And how do you know when the tank is through cycling? :confused:

jimi

The reason there is so many different answers is it depends on what is in your tank set up. a tank started with alot of cured live rock and sand may not see a cycle at all. A tank with "dead" rocks or decoration may take two or more months. Give the complete breakdown of your tank.

greenbird

i would wait a month then test everything to make sure you have good water then i would add some starter fish see how they do then go from there good luck

diverinva

When you get to the point of adding fish go with something inexpensive. Damsels are my choice. When I first started out I bought a bunch of clowns because my LFS said they were a good starter fish. It was an expensive lesson. Since then I have moved my tank when I moved across country. When I started it up again the first thing I bought were damsels (after cycling it). Good luck and have fun...

steelrain

My 55 gal has been runnng for a little over a week with no live rock or sand and 5 damsels, my ammo has not really moved,it is at about .250 and has been that way since the day after I added the fish(12-27-01) is this normal? All the other specs are OK ph=8.2 temp=around 80 S.G = 1.023

karlas

the only way to tell if your tank is really done cycling is by testing ammonia, nitrites, nitrates when your amm and nitrites are at 0 and nitrates go up your tank is done then do water changes to lower nitrates. then add your clean up crew or a fish or 2. each tank is different u just have to wait and see what your test say :) :p :)

rapt0r32

And actually some say damsels are hard to get rid of so some people dont like using them. I found in the past that if a Lion Fish hasn't eaten in a bit. He is more than happy ;) to take care of those damsels for you. Good Luck....

fshhub

get a pair of mollies, they are cheaper, non aggressive and even heartier, some lfs sell them acclimated for sw, they will live and evven breed in sw