Tank Cycling!!!!!!!!!!!

danrod911

Hi Guys
I am getting a little tire with my tank. I want to start putting different fish but cant because i think my tank has not cycled. my tank has been up and running for about two months now and im still getting some ammonia in my readings. I dont know what to do>.....do i have to wait some more???????? or can i do something to speed the process. I do 20 percent water changes every month. i use regular water from my sink. ( from our well)
56 gallon tank
45lb live rock
3 demsels
10 hermits
1 snail
1 shrimp
today readings
temp. 80
ph. 8.4
nitrite- 0 p.p.m.
nitrate- 20 p.p.m.
ammonia- 1.0 p.p.m

ryanhayes9

well if you set up the tank and were doing water changes while the initial cycle was going then yeah its prolly still cycling

ryanhayes9

u r not supposed to do water changes while the tank is cycling. it removes some of the bacteria that is building uo i think. when you changed the water you were prolly doing it during the cycle and just DELAYED the cycle. you might want to get more opinions also. sorry about the long cycle

ryanhayes9

o wait i just saw you have fish.... well then maybe its the water you are using. tap or well water is BAD for sw aquariums especially for reef aquariums. but well water is the worst. you are suppost to be using Reverse Osmomsis water for the tank and for top offs etc. its like 76cents a gallon - walmart

omgsaltwat

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
o wait i just saw you have fish.... well then maybe its the water you are using. tap or well water is BAD for sw aquariums especially for reef aquariums. but well water is the worst. you are suppost to be using Reverse Osmomsis water for the tank and for top offs etc. its like 76cents a gallon - walmart
Its only .39 cents at my wal-mart.

danrod911

when you guys buy RO water, do you buy a lot and store it some place in your house OR just buy what you need????????

dexter

Before I bought my RO/DI unit from the famous auction site (and thank god I did!) I set up a 30 gallon resivoir with a gravity feed to my sump. the end tube is then attached to a float valve for top offs. I would buy 2-5 five gallon buckets of walmart water at 25 cents a gallon to keep it full for top offs.

Pic shows float valve and tubing running to the laundry room where resivoir is located.

Dxtr