tank drilling plumbers putty question

osuaquarist

I just got drilling my tank and was wondering if a little plumbers putty inside the tank would be harmful to the fish. I will try to get out as much as possible, but there will likely be some residue somewhere. What does everyone think?

wattsupdoc

I think he's just saying that he used it when drilling.
If your worried about it I wouldnt leave it myself. If you can, clean the areas it was used in with bleach and or vinegar. This will remove any residue.

tr1gger

Im guessing that you where using it like a small circle area to keep water in placed while you drilled the glass? Well i guess i have to ask why ya used it on the inside? I am not hassling you just curious. I would def. scrub that with something. Im sure there is going to be a residue of some nature but Do not use soap or any kinda of chemical cleaner. Maybe just some Water and vinegar to at least neutralize it. Maybe once you get set up and test the tank for leaks with tap water scrub it again with the tap water in there and then of course drain it out, maybe even a couple times. Hope that gives ya a few ideas, Happy Tanking

salty blues

Originally Posted by tr1gger
http:///forum/post/2695434
Im guessing that you where using it like a small circle area to keep water in placed while you drilled the glass? Well i guess i have to ask why ya used it on the inside? I am not hassling you just curious. I would def. scrub that with something. Im sure there is going to be a residue of some nature but Do not use soap or any kinda of chemical cleaner. Maybe just some Water and vinegar to at least neutralize it. Maybe once you get set up and test the tank for leaks with tap water scrub it again with the tap water in there and then of course drain it out, maybe even a couple times. Hope that gives ya a few ideas, Happy Tanking

He must have wanted the hole to be inside the tank!

waterworld

Be sure to clean the area 2-3 times to be safe.
I just drilled a glass tank for a fuge and did not even use putty. I did the drilling on my back patio and just turned on the garden hose pointing to the drill and this kept clean cool water going on the drill to cool it as well as flush away the drilled glass. Worked like a deam.
Good Luck
WW

osuaquarist

I used it to create a reservoir of water to keep the bit cool. I used it on the outside but when the drill broke through the water and junk splashed down into the tank. My friend created this topic, I think the matter he is talking about is just dusted glass. The putty shouldn't dissolve in water so I doubt that any of it got into the tank. Thanks

D

dennis210

Afterdrilling wipe out the tank with water and a rag - let it dry - if you have cloudiness on glass I use rubbing alcohol on a rag - clean the glass again - let air dry and then flush with water. By the time the tank has saltwater and the like in it most of the chemicals from drilling should be disapated any way.
Good luck - and I envy all of you who can drill your own tanks - without a portable drill press I am afraid to try hand held drilling!
Dennis

osuaquarist

Originally Posted by Dennis210
http:///forum/post/2698283
Afterdrilling wipe out the tank with water and a rag - let it dry - if you have cloudiness on glass I use rubbing alcohol on a rag - clean the glass again - let air dry and then flush with water. By the time the tank has saltwater and the like in it most of the chemicals from drilling should be disapated any way.
Good luck - and I envy all of you who can drill your own tanks - without a portable drill press I am afraid to try hand held drilling!
Dennis
It really wasn't that bad at all. I would just suggest using a corded drill we got through 1 hole then we ran through 2 batteries and the 2nd. We had to let one charge before we could get through...