Tank Drilling Question

mikediii

Hey all,
I have a 75g setup with a 29g sump in a very nice custom stand. I am currently using a siphon tube overflow box and it works pretty well. I am going to build another 55 or 75g setup and would be using a standard All-Glass Aquarium. I would like to do things a bit different on the new setup. I want to drill into the sides of the tank (I know I cant drill the bottom) and build a built in skimmer box around the drain line bulkhead. So here are my questions. The way I see it so far, I need to drill one hole for a 1 inch Bulkhead for the drain and 3 more for a closed loop circulation system with a wavemaking device on it.
My questions are: .... Where in the tank (what hight from the top should I drill the whole for the bulkhead? Will a 1 inch bulkhead give me the desired flow through my refugium? I think I read that 1inch = 600 gph. Can I build an overflow box that surrounds the bulkhead and extends to the disired water level in the tank with teeth on the top? Will this prevent overflow past the desired level if the return pump fails (I know about drilling and anti-siphon hole in the return)? Will I need anything other than a bulkhead with a slip screen, a standpipe for instance? Finally, can anyone post a link to some good tank drilling information?
Does this sound like it would work? I want to make the new setup more visually pleasing and user friendly. I know its a lot of questions, Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks my fellow aquarists.
-Mike D

sign guy

Originally Posted by mikediii
Hey all,
I have a 75g setup with a 29g sump in a very nice custom stand. I am currently using a siphon tube overflow box and it works pretty well. I am going to build another 55 or 75g setup and would be using a standard All-Glass Aquarium. I would like to do things a bit different on the new setup. I want to drill into the sides of the tank (I know I cant drill the bottom) and build a built in skimmer box around the drain line bulkhead. So here are my questions. The way I see it so far, I need to drill one hole for a 1 inch Bulkhead for the drain and 3 more for a closed loop circulation system with a wavemaking device on it.
My questions are: .... Where in the tank (what hight from the top should I drill the whole for the bulkhead? bottom is best it will alow more presure = more gph Will a 1 inch bulkhead give me the desired flow through my refugium? I would sugest two if you have a 29gal sump I think I read that 1inch = 600 gph. Can I build an overflow box that surrounds the bulkhead and extends to the disired water level in the tank with teeth on the top? Will this prevent overflow past the desired level if the return pump fails yes (I know about drilling and anti-siphon hole in the return)? Will I need anything other than a bulkhead with a slip screen, a standpipe for instance? Finally, can anyone post a link to some good tank drilling information?
Does this sound like it would work? I want to make the new setup more visually pleasing and user friendly. I know its a lot of questions, Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks my fellow aquarists.
-Mike D
I will go find a thread I started a few months back

mikediii

Great, thanks for the link. I think I will try that method. I have experience working with stained glass, I should be able to pull it off.
Any suggestions for the other questions: Bulkhead size? Location? Will the design with a skimmer box work? Refer to above post....
Thanks again all,
-Mike D.

mikediii

Hey all,
I've been reading up more on this stuff. It has been suggested that I use 2 1inch bulkheads for the overflow. Would it be OK to put both of them inside the same overflow box? I have also seen 1 1/2' bulkheads available. Would one of those be sufficient? Finally, I have read of issues with the elbow comming out of the back of the bulkhead causing back-pressure. Would I be able to use a "T" instead of an elbow behind the bulkhead and run a vent pipe up to the water level (outside aquarium) to allow air intake? Will just a straight piece of pipe work or would I need some modification. Is this necessary for the setup I'm working on? Thanks again all. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
-Mike D.

oceanblue1

Hey all,
I've been reading up more on this stuff. It has been suggested that I use 2 1inch bulkheads for the overflow. Would it be OK to put both of them inside the same overflow box? I have also seen 1 1/2' bulkheads available. Would one of those be sufficient? Finally, I have read of issues with the elbow comming out of the back of the bulkhead causing back-pressure. Would I be able to use a "T" instead of an elbow behind the bulkhead and run a vent pipe up to the water level (outside aquarium) to allow air intake? Will just a straight piece of pipe work or would I need some modification. Is this necessary for the setup I'm working on? Thanks again all. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
-Mike D.

:happyfish Hi yes useing a T for a vent pipe is what my LFD does in all his tanks it works great you just put the strait vent peace comeing off the T above the top water level to prevent the ater from comeing out of the vent pipe... I hope this helps!!! :happyfish

oceanblue1

Hey all,
My questions are: .... Where in the tank (what hight from the top should I drill the whole for the bulkhead? Will a 1 inch bulkhead give me the desired flow through my refugium? I think I read that 1inch = 600 gph. Can I build an overflow box that surrounds the bulkhead and extends to the disired water level in the tank with teeth on the top? Will this prevent overflow past the desired level if the return pump fails (I know about drilling and anti-siphon hole in the return)? Will I need anything other than a bulkhead with a slip screen, a standpipe for instance? Finally, can anyone post a link to some good tank drilling information?
-Mike D

:happyfish Hi sign guy has some great advice. Be careful I have herd of some tanks haveing tempered glass on the bottom glass for strenth do not drill tempered glass it will just shader!!! I Hope this helps!!Good Luck sounds Good!!! :happyfish :happyfish

acrylic51

Super easy to drill as SignGuy has said and shown....I've drilled plenty, and IMO I'd opt for an 1.5" bulkhead over 1" anyday......

mikediii

Cool, thanks for all of the helpful info... and encouragement. I feel much better about attempting this whole thing. I just need a little free time and I'm going to get going on this. Im a busy guy but I think I can poke away at it a little at a time. I have a lot of fun playing around with this stuff. I drew up a sketch today, when I make a better copy I'll try to scan and post it.
Anyways, thanks again all!!! I'll let ya's know how its going.
-Mike D.
Oh... Does anyone know where there is a chart or something that shows flow rates for bulkhead sizes... or is there too much variability based on setup?

sleasia

your questions are best answered by the others, but I wanted to say that when cutting the holes....remember to cut inside the trace lines...better to cut a bit small and then you can always test with the bulkhead and enlarge here and there where necessary than to cut too loose to begin with.....and always have the bulkhead in hand before you cut...trace the hole you need from the bulkhead you will be using. because they do vary slightly I have found, you really can't rely real precisely
on the "hole sizes" quoted by the manufacturers.

acrylic51

Sorry don't know if there is a calc on this site, but if you go to reefcentral dot com they have a calc for figuring flow rates with certain bulkhead sizes.