Tank dying

dad

It is my fault. I had a large wasp nest at my front door. I sprayed it with some wasp spray. Somehow two of the wasp found their way in my house and into my tank.
So far both my chromis are dead,my polyps are shrivled up, and my mushrooms disapeared.
My flame hawk is about dead and my percilla is trying to find away out.
I do not have a hostpital tank and i know of no one within 120 miles that has one. I'm on my own here :(
I did a 50% water change but I am out of salt now.
I guess this is what i get for living so far from a lfs(locale?right!) and not being prepared.
not to mention that i'm an idiot!!
I will not ever go through this again!
I'm not sure what this will do to the lr and ls. Not good i'm sure.
sad day

dad

told you i was an idiot, i never even really though about making a h.tank.(not at this point).
just concentrated on the tank.
did add 2 small bags of carbon just now.(didn't think about it neither).
had a spare air pump, that's it.
well at least my dog will get more attention now. being single sucks!
need sleep now, do not wish this upon anyone. we will see in the morning.(not looking forward to it though).

nm reef

Man....talk about bad breaks.....I'd be frantic if the same happened here.........you've been well advised............keep us posted on the out come........... :(

dmh

If you can't manage a hospital tank, acquire salt, do repeated water changes...the toxins are in the water, and every water change will dillute them further. Running the filter with carbon may be a good idea. I don't know much about the structure of the chemical in the spray, but I would think activated carbon might capture some of it...(worth a try?) but I really have no idea...

andymi

Not to mention remove or replace any filters you have in your system that could be contaminating the water being filtered. I would look into getting some things and making the effort to hit an LFS for some goods quickly. Cost of buying stuff might help reduce the amount of things lost.
--Andy

broomer5

dad,
That is a tough break for sure. Who would have thought that the wasps would have ended up in your tank.
I'm sure most of us here would not have considered that happening in our own homes.
I have nothing to add to the above advise except to continue water changes and possibly adding some Kordon's NovAqua for any surviving fish slime coats, and it may help to detoxify the remaining poisons - it may, I'm not 100% sure of that though.
I am very sorry to hear when things happen like this to anyone.
We all feel for you I'm sure .
Brian
[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: broomer5 ]