tank fish

jetray500

I just got a saltwater tank it is 37 gallons can i put in 1 firefish 2 true percular clowns 1cleaner shrimp 1 red tip sea star 1 chromis and 1 pygmy angel in the tank or is that to much fish?

S

saxman

First of all, is your tank cycled?
The best tips I can offer are these:
GO SLOW...I know you're excited about the hobby, but if you move too quickly, esp. with a new tank, you're asking for trouble.
Research EVERYTHING...sometimes the forums are good for this, but you'll want to do some of your own reading. I recommend these books:
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner
Advanced Marine Aquarium Techniques by Jay Hemdal
And for your livestock:
Reef Fishes Vol 1 by Scott Michael
To be honest, most sea stars don't do well in captivity, and certainly do better in larger and very well established tanks. Now, the question is, which "re-tipped sea star" are you referring to? Fromia monilis
likely won't do well for long, however, there's another sea star that is also known as the "red-tipped" (also the red knobby or red general), and that is Protoreaster lincki
, which will likely do OK, but tends to be rather predatory when hungry (your snails, crabs, and small fish would be at risk).
As for fish load, what are the dimensions of your tank? 30" x 12" x 22" or ?
What kind of filtration are you using?

jetray500

My tank has been cycled. I'm not sure what type of red tip sea star but I can ask my dealer. Would the chocolate chip seastar be better?
I use a hob filter with activated carbon and a bh 100 coralvue protein skimmer. I also have liv rock in the tank.
The measurements of my tank are 30x12x22 (you are right).
I've had 1 chromis for almost 2 weeks. What would you suggest adding next?
Thanks for resonding!

S

saxman

I'd add the firefish next, then the angel, and the clowns last. Give your tank 6 months before you add anything like sea stars, clams, etc. Also, give your tank at least two weeks between any additions to allow the biofiltration to catch up with the additional load.
Alrtho your tank is cycled, it's not MATURE, which also means it's not super stable yet. To be honest, once a SW tank is mature and established, they're pretty solid, meaning your parameters won't bounce around or change. Eventually, you'll learn to recognize when to test your water, perform various tasks, etc.
Oh...if your tank isn't covered, do so...firefish are bad about jumping, but ANY fish can, and will jump...including bottom dwellers, lionfish, etc.