Tank for Dad

tonyintx

Hi all, looking for help to start a tank for my dad. Some background: he was recently diagnosed with colon cancer and has just started chemo treatments. He has always been very active and now has been ordered to slow down a bit and that is killing him he is used to always working very hard and the sitting and relaxing is driving him wild. I have noticed that he loves my saltwater tank ans when he is over at my house just sits there looking forever. So I have decided that I will with his help build a stand and lid for my 30 gallon tank. It will give him something to do that should not be too hard but just enough to get him active to a little degree. also when done he could sit and relax and enjoy the tank. My question is what kind of saltwater fish would be best for him as far as hardy and interesting but not too much work? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

kiefers

I am sorry to read about your Dads condition and applaud you for getting you and him involved in an activity you both can engage in. I think he would really enjoy your idea.
Personally I would get bright colorful fish that add movement to the system, but just a few as to not over stock the system.
Do you have any ideas in mind?

tonyintx

The only fish I have in mind so far are clowns, only because he is always commenting on the ones in my tank. I just want to make sure that they don't require too much hassle since I want this to be something he can enjoy and not have to work too much or always dying on him.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyintx http:///t/392002/tank-for-dad#post_3478944
The only fish I have in mind so far are clowns, only because he is always commenting on the ones in my tank. I just want to make sure that they don't require too much hassle since I want this to be something he can enjoy and not have to work too much or always dying on him.
Well I would suggest you start cycling some water now. The Clowns do indeed sound like a good idea. I am assuming you want some corals too?
Have you thought of a Dwarf Angelfish of some kind. Unlike the Clowns, the Angelfish will swim around in and out of rock work and add some movement throughout the tank. I would add it last though as they have a pretty good track record of being ornery. A cleaner shrimp would be good as well. The movement would be hypnotizing and relaxing in my opinion.

tonyintx

I totally forgot about the cleaner shrimp. He has mentioned that he likes my cleaner as well. As for corals i think the lighting requirements would be alot and the constant testing and keeping up with the water quality might be more then he can adapt to. But again thank you for the input.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyintx http:///t/392002/tank-for-dad#post_3478954
I totally forgot about the cleaner shrimp. He has mentioned that he likes my cleaner as well. As for corals i think the lighting requirements would be alot and the constant testing and keeping up with the water quality might be more then he can adapt to. But again thank you for the input.
I agree as far as the corals are concerned. You can also add a blood shrimp for color.
Good luck.

tirtza

Quote:
A cleaner shrimp would be good as well. The movement would be hypnotizing and relaxing in my opinion.
+1
Skunk Cleaner shrimp are really amusing and graceful little guys.
A Midas Blenny might be a good idea too. They're beautiful and I've heard they have great personalities.

tonyintx

Not sure I have ever seen a skunk cleaner shrimp? what do there look like? Are they as hardy as the regular cleaner shrimp?