tank gurgle

M

mmdoug

I have a 75 gal pre-drilled allglass aquarium.Every 3-5 min it gurgles very loud like someone flushed the toilet.Anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this or min it.It is starting to drive me crazy.

jmgrn

A "Durso" standpipe will cure your problem, try your search. It works, its the best.

marinerock

HI MMDOUG....
HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 125.....FILL THE OVERFLOWS WITH BIO-BALLS...THAT WILL CUT DOWN THE FLUSHING NOISE
ALOT....I USED 5 GALS. OF BIO-BALLS...2 1/2 GALS. EACH SIDE...
I TOOK OUT THE SPONGE PRE-FILTERS IN THE OVERFLOWS BECAUSE TO REMOVE ALMOST 400 BIO-BALLS EVERYTIME YOU HAVE TO CLEAN THEM IS A NUISANCE....
HAPPY NEW YEAR...
REGARDS....
MARINEROCK

M

mmdoug

jmgrn you are a life saver! It's good to know we have a place we can come to for help.The Durso standpipe came today and it is magnificent!Now I just have to find a way to quiet the waterfall noise and the tank will be silent.Thanks again!

jdawson

I fixed the waterfall noise by wedging sponges in the overflo. The water hits the sponges rather than splashing directly to the water surface.

jmgrn

mmdoug-- Mr. Richard Durso gets all the credit for his innovative solution to the drain noise problem. Another member suggested putting sponges in the overflow to quiet falling water. Bad idea, sponges collect fish goo and everything else, = nitrates! Try covering the surface area of your overflow box with ping-pong balls. Make certain the balls cover just the surface area and are not forced under water. The last thing you want is for a ball to get sucked into the intake of the standpipe.