Tank has arrived!

florida joe

Quote:
.....Don't agree with sloping any of the plumbing.....I could understand that reasoning if you had long runs, but the runs are short, and not needed..
Let’s take a look at the pvc in the rear of the picture, if you have both valves open fully I don’t think you will have much flow through the horizontal line. To get flow there your need to start restricting flow through the vertical line by closing the valve. Now if you have the horizontal pipe sloped down from the valve you will need less restriction and IMO any time you can diminish the restriction in a valve you are better off
BTW i would never put a brake in the top of a return line, if you do when you start up the system you tend to shoot water up to your lights

xcali1985

There should never be a need to ball valve a drain line. If I am looking at the pictures correctly then you have a ball valve on a drain line.

acrylic51

The slope could easily be accomplished with a clamp, I think your referring to the drain line of the tank bulkhead.....If the break is strategically placed correctly there will be no "splash", and if your lights are mounted that close.....Shame on you.......

acrylic51

Joe not sure what exactly your referring to about the 2 valves.....The 1 valve is clearly on the return line, and the other is off the drain, and the other is the bleed off line from the return pump.....Honestly I could never see both valves on the return line completely open......

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali1985 http:///t/393738/tank-has-arrived/20#post_3504090
There should never be a need to ball valve a drain line. If I am looking at the pictures correctly then you have a ball valve on a drain line.
Agree on this style setup there shouldn't be a valve, but I think he might be thinking in the event he shuts the system down it would be needed, but to drain the overflow for service just pull the stand pipe to rid the overflow of water......But in another instance if the design of the drain/overflow was different then a valve is used.....Referencing BeanAnimal overflow, but in this situation definitely should never be closed at all.......

ballardboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/393738/tank-has-arrived/20#post_3504094
Agree on this style setup there shouldn't be a valve, but I think he might be thinking in the event he shuts the system down it would be needed, but to drain the overflow for service just pull the stand pipe to rid the overflow of water......But in another instance if the design of the drain/overflow was different then a valve is used.....Referencing BeanAnimal overflow, but in this situation definitely should never be closed at all.......
These are never closed. I put them in just in case I need to shut the system down. I rather have a ball valve available in case I need one that not. That is why I put them there. Not necessarily to be used.

ballardboi

Here is the cloudy tank. It has been running now for 3 days, I put a mechanical filter on the front as you can see to help rid the system of the fine sand particles, which it is doing a great job. The rock turned out decent, might need a couple more pieces, but overall I am happy with it.
I have 200lbs in the tank and 40 pounds in the sump area. I am building a lifter for my skimmer as right now it is sitting on a piece of tubberware. :)
Things have already started to spike.
Ammonia is 2.0
My CA is at 560 which surprised me.
Ph is 8.0
Nitrite 5.0
Nitrate showed 0.
And also no my light isn't that close. It is hung up, but i was taking a picture as things were progressing. I should know better as I know this board will jump on you. hahah.

ballardboi

Here are 2. 1st one is with no blues on... and of course the 2nd one is with blues on, which when you take a picture makes it look just blue!
I have a dark spot as the light should go right where the plastic cross bar is for support in the tank, looks like the only way around this is to get a 4th light.
Does anyone have AI SOL's if so what do you have your settings at?
I have my lights 12 inches from the top of the tank which is what AI SOL recommended and my LFS. Any suggestions on this?

ballardboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/393738/tank-has-arrived/20#post_3504379
Very cool....How high are the lights from the surface.....It could be the pic as well......
I have then 12 inches from the top of the water. I am actually going to get another light so I will have 2 on each "side" of the cross bar. No matter what I do with the crossbar there I get a major shadow in the tank. I have also turned down the intensity of the lights. Here is an updated picture. You don't see the light in person like you do in a picture. Again it is an Iphone not a digital camera.

ballardboi

The cycle is working away. Ammonia has dropped to Zero. Nitrites and Nitrates have seems to level off, hopefully start to decrease, and the growth of the ever so pretty diatoms.