Tank Levels

mj

Has anyone heard of the Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals? Trying to figure out what is going on with my tank. My levels are as follows:
Ammonia .50
Nitrites .50
Nitrates 20
Salinity 1.022
Temp 80
PH 7.8
My PH seems to be dropping while the others levels have been pretty much steady. Started with 80 lbs of LS so I'm not to sure about when it cycled, if it even did. However, brown diatoms (I think) have tried to get established on the substrate. Does this indicate a cycle has taken place? My tank has been up and running for about 1.5 months. Any help is much appreciated.........

joker_ca

your levels are not good, which tells me your tank is still cycleing
what fish do you hove and how often do you feed, have you done any water changes if so test the water you use because that could be adding to the ammonia and nitrites

mj

I have done 1 10% water change. I have only 2 yellow-finned blue damsels and a cleaning crew (crabs,snails,shrimp). These were all added after the appearence of the diatoms. Went out a got some Quick dip testing strips and everything tests fine, so I am starting to wonder about the validity of some of the tests......

dmc888

I have the same test kit. I have no problems with mine. The tests are a little complicated. Did you do them by the book?
My 55 reads fine.

chevcam

My LFS uses that same kit and so do I works great for me. I have a 90 gal and it took about 7 weeks to cycle. When your cycles complete you should show 0 on ammoina and 0 on nitrites right now looks like very high ammonia .

mj

Thanks for all of the input. I do the test by the book. I get my pamphlet out each time I test the water and follow the directions step by step. I noticed I had a typing error which I have corrected--the ammonia levels are NOT 7.8 but .50. Does this make the the water seem a little better? I have been feeding twice a day, alternating between flake( a small pinch) and frozen (about 1/4 of a cube). To much? Any advice is definitely helpful. Thanks again.:joy:

rubberduck

yep, owwww, ok your tank is probably finishing the cycle. but those amonia has to change to nitrates. then once the nitrates are gone, and amonia is gone, ur done with the cycle