Tank mate help?

darkholly

Hello : )
I recently started stocking my tank (after, like, a year XD ) and along with all my corals, I've got a firefish. I'd like to get a tankmate for him, but I haven't been able to decide among some choices that I have. I was thinking:
-Sixline wrasse
-Bicolor blenny
-Midas blenny
-Lawnmower blenny
I really love bicolor blennies, but the last time we got one he did NOT get along with my territorial clown and royal gramma (both of whom are deceased... RIP guys!). I'd rather not get a hit-or-miss fish, so I was wondering about what you guys think is best. I'm also looking for an algae eater (I've got a really bad hair algae problem), so if anyone has any ideas about a fish that would be good for that, please post! I'm not limited to just the above choices. Thanks! : )

nano-newb1983

we need a lil more info on your tank. what size is it, and all that good stuff
Also about the hair alge, i would get some mexican turbo snails. I had a small infection with alge and once i added 2 of them i have not seen any since. Rocks,glass and sand is clean

darkholly

Oh, haha, whoops. I should have put that in the first post.
It's a 14g biocube, and right now it's got a variety of zoas/palys, a pulsing xenia, two reef hermits, two astrea snails, and a firefish. I plan on only having two fish in there. (is there anything I missed?)
I was thinking turbo snails too, but my LFS only has enormous ones that would do better in a 50g or larger. That's why I went with the astrea snails. The last turbo I had completely destroyed my zoa frag, so I've been kind of scared of getting one every since.

I love my sixline, just make sure you have a decent amount of LR for him. I have never had a Blenny but I'm pretty sure they are peaceful and would make a great tank mate.

jennln

I have a firefish with a bicolor blenny and they get along great. Each has their "side" of the tank they prefer...firefish hangs out in the overhangs and the blenny likes to be up front and center at all times, but there are times the two will hang out together with no problems at all. The bicolor blenny is personally one of my favorites :D so he gets my vote!

redsea

I HAVE SIXLINE WRASSE THEY ROCK! I HAD IT WITH MY FIREFISH, SADLY THE FIREFISH DIED, SOMETIMES THE SIXLINE WRASSE Can be a little mean. the sixline wrasse did NOT kill the firefish

darkholly

I'm leaning towards sixline wrasse right now, but I'm still torn. Bicolor blennies are just adorable, so it would be nice to have one again. Thanks for your input!

worrballer

As far as a fish for hair algae, there are really no good choices for nano tanks as I've found out. Six line might work but probably not fast enough.
I'd get snails for algae; turbo as mentioned before (if you can get a hold of small ones), or more astrea or trochus (my fave).
I like the looks of six lines but have heard they get aggressive. Of your choices I like the midas. Also you should look into canary blennies, bright bright yellow.

appaloosa1

Midas blennies will get way to big for a 14g (I have seen them get 6-7 inches). Stick with a bicolor if you want a blenny.

zigster

i would get the bicolor blenny. mine is awesome. i had a royal gramma but he was very mean, he beat up my clowns and killed my pep shrimp. i traded him for my blenny.

darkholly

Oh, I wasn't aware that midas blennies got too large... the guys at my LFS said they would do just fine in my tank.
I think I'll go with bicolor blenny then. Thank you guys! : )