tank mate

larrynews

is there anything i can put in with my 3 kudas to help with the extra food, i have a 55 gallon thank w/ cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp. a hand full of blue legged crabs and a few snails and a pipe fish, i seem to always have extra food on the bottom, i use a feeding station but i still get some other places. i don't worry about it with my reef tank, food hardly ever gets to the bottom, but with this i know its limited as to a tank mate but i was hoping someone may have found something that the charts say you cant use...thanks

zeke92

some sort of goby i would suggest. they will get the stuff on the bottom. i have a yellow watchman goby in mine, i really wanna get a mandarin once i get everything straitened out. but i suggest not getting more then one that uses a den, because of territory issues. but mandarin and watchman gobies for example wont fight if you get two like that.

larrynews

i found this on a good site, feed back please, hope it wont get deleted
In short, fishes that are suitable as companions for seahorses must be docile, nonaggressive specimens, which are fairly deliberate feeders that won't out-compete them for food. Some good candidates include:
Anthias (assorted Mirolabrichthys, Pseudanthias, and Anthias sp.)
Firefish Goby (Nemateleotris magnifica)
Purple Firefish Goby (Nemateleotris decora)
Gobies (assorted small species)
Neon Goby (Gobiosoma oceanops)
Assessors (Assessor spp.)
Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)
High Hats (Equetus acuminatus)
Marine Betta (Calloplesiops altivelis)
Banggai or Banner cardinals (Pterapogon kauderni)
Flame cardinals (Apogon pseudomaculatus)
Pajama cardinals (Apogon nematoptera)
Pipefishes (assorted small species)
Percula clownfish (Amphiprion percula)
False percula clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Royal Grammas (Gramma loreto)
Blackcap Basslets (Gramma melacara)
Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)
Longnose Hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus)
Six Line Wrasse (Psuedocheilinus hexataenia)
Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus sp.)
Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus spp.)
Scooter Blennies (Synchiropus spp.)
Green Mandarin Goby or Dragonet (Pterosynchiropus splendidus)
Psychedelic Mandarin Goby or Dragonet (Pterosynchiropus picturatus)
Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani) - avoid other Pseudochromis species!
Good inverts for seahorses include decorative cleaner shrimp like those listed below:
Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni)
Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp or Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Fire Shrimp (Lysmata debelius)
and/or
large ornamental snails (living sea shells) such as the following:
Tiger Cowry (Cypraea tigris)
Deer Cowry (Cypraea cervus)
and/or
Assorted Feather Dusters (Sabellastatre magnifica, Sabella sp.) whose colorful crowns resemble gaily-colored parasols.

rays862

Originally Posted by larrynews
http:///forum/post/2461229
i found this on a good site, feed back please, hope it wont get deleted
In short, fishes that are suitable as companions for seahorses must be docile, nonaggressive specimens, which are fairly deliberate feeders that won't out-compete them for food. Some good candidates include:
Anthias (assorted Mirolabrichthys, Pseudanthias, and Anthias sp.)
Firefish Goby (Nemateleotris magnifica)
Purple Firefish Goby (Nemateleotris decora)
Gobies (assorted small species)
Neon Goby (Gobiosoma oceanops)
Assessors (Assessor spp.)
Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)
High Hats (Equetus acuminatus)
Marine Betta (Calloplesiops altivelis)
Banggai or Banner cardinals (Pterapogon kauderni)
Flame cardinals (Apogon pseudomaculatus)
Pajama cardinals (Apogon nematoptera)
Pipefishes (assorted small species)
Percula clownfish (Amphiprion percula)
False percula clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Royal Grammas (Gramma loreto)
Blackcap Basslets (Gramma melacara)
Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)
Longnose Hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus)
Six Line Wrasse (Psuedocheilinus hexataenia)
Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus sp.)
Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus spp.)
Scooter Blennies (Synchiropus spp.)
Green Mandarin Goby or Dragonet (Pterosynchiropus splendidus)
Psychedelic Mandarin Goby or Dragonet (Pterosynchiropus picturatus)
Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani) - avoid other Pseudochromis species!
Good inverts for seahorses include decorative cleaner shrimp like those listed below:
Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni)
Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp or Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Fire Shrimp (Lysmata debelius)
and/or
large ornamental snails (living sea shells) such as the following:
Tiger Cowry (Cypraea tigris)
Deer Cowry (Cypraea cervus)
and/or
Assorted Feather Dusters (Sabellastatre magnifica, Sabella sp.) whose colorful crowns resemble gaily-colored parasols.
Not to be rude, but I don't know where you got that list, or who concocted it, but 60% of those fish aren't suitable, either they are too aggressive or competitive for food.

zeke92

Originally Posted by Rays862
http:///forum/post/2461627
Not to be rude, but I don't know where you got that list, or who concocted it, but 60% of those fish aren't suitable, either they are too aggressive or competitive for food.
agree somewhat. like the wrasses for example.

kanicky

Eek, yeah, I agree, a lot of those fish shouldn't be put with seahorses. I'm surprised SeahorseDotOrg would make a list like that, because they tend to be Nazi's over there on what you can and can't put in a seahorse tank.
In my seahorse tank, I have a Purple Firefish and two black False Percs. They actually don't eat a ton and only eat towards the surface, so I'm still able to feed Trident directly with the baster. They never try to take his food, or even go near him, really.
I wouldn't put any wrasses, hawkfish, anthias or basslets/grammas in a seahorse tank. They eat too aggressively.

larrynews

it was dot com not org. but this is what i wanted to se what people have in there tanks...thanks to all and keep them coming

rays862

I'm surprised SeahorseDotOrg
would make a list like that, because they tend to be Nazi's over there on what you can and can't put in a seahorse tank.
Check again, it's OR not .org, I'm a regular on .org, I know
they wouldn't have that list.

zeke92

i keep forgetting they have a forums over there too.
but yeah .org would not have that list. .com sure.
false percs are the only clownfish i would put in with horses. there the calmest clownfish of all.

bgrae001

What about putting in a pair of Banggai's? My wife really wants a pair and I dont have the room in my reef tank right now.

larrynews

i have a pair in my reef, i was looking for something that cruise the bottom for food to eat the extras, plus these would also give live food...

poniegirl

Originally Posted by larrynews
http:///forum/post/2465044
what if i put saltwater mollies in, will they eat the extra food and also supply live food
How big are your seahorses? The snout needs to be large enough to accomodate.
Back when all a person could find were WC seahorses, live fish fry were almost the only way to feed them.
The mollies are relatively simple to acclimate to saltwater (time spent, time, time) and also like to graze the tank walls.
I will be testing my own idea soon.

zeke92

mollies....seahorse tank....babies being snacks for horses...hmm. that could be a could experiment.
i may actually try that out when things start to stablalize over here

poniegirl

Originally Posted by zeke92
http:///forum/post/2466003
mollies....seahorse tank....babies being snacks for horses...hmm. that could be a could experiment.
i may actually try that out when things start to stablalize over here
It's an interesting thought to me.
It was a problem in the ancient times because there were NO SW fish fry for sale for the purpose of being feed. The freshwater fry were obviously not easy to deal with...they either expired before the SH could find them, or were simply to big to even think about using.
The mollies breed every 28 days or so. My concern is mostly the SH overfeeding on a new batch (that feels callous), so I will need to figure this out first. I don't know for sure that the CB SH will see them as food. That and, though I am not faint of heart, well, we'll see.
As said, I will be trying this theory. Caution and thought about ALL of the possible outcomes should be kept.

larrynews

i have done some reading and found that if the sh get algae growth on the that the mollies may try to pick it off and that wouldnt be good so i have decided not to go that route, maybe i just need more seahorses....