Tank mates???

robchuck

I have a 29 gallon tank with 30 lbs of LR currently home to a false percula clown, 3 blue leg hermits, and a few hitchhikers I set up about 6 weeks ago. The tank completed its cycle about 10 days ago, and I added the clown a few days after. What other inhabitants would anyone suggest for this tank? I am very interested in the Royal Gramma, and am also fond of the Eibli and Flame dwarf angels. I am also thinking of adding a CBS, a few Peppermint shrimp, and about 15-20 more blue legs or scarlet hermits; possibly going full-blown reef down the road.
Thanks for all of your suggestions!

alf3482

The CBS might eat the pep shrimp. mine will eat any and all other shrimp. So be aware of that. a nice fish for this tank would be a Bi-color Blenny. HTH

bang guy

Pygmy Angels are rarely successful in tank smaller than 55. I like the Blenny suggestion.
You might consider a Banggai Cardinalfish :D

clarkiiboi

what about adding another perc and having a pair? Scooter blennys are good too. Lawnmower blenny would be good for algea. Royal Grammas are nice, they don't get real big and my CBS wasn't nice, but that may just of been mine :)

S

sinner's girl

the CBS we had wasn't nice either...ate the peppermints...picked on the fish if they got close to him...he had personality though more than the peppermints...in end the serpent star ate him...
I'd add some snails and a star. the serpent star has personality...blennies are cool (the Scooter blenny needs ls)
with hermits make sure you have extra shells or they will kill each other or snails...
hth

aileena

I have the same size tank as you do and its been up for about 4 months with 30pds of LR. This are the things in my tank right now.
3 green chromis
2 false clowns
4 red scarlet hermits
4 blue hermits
1 emerald crab
1 peppermint shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 sea cucumber
I had a sand sifter star but he disintegrated, I want to get another but it takes forever to aclimate them. I also have
blue and green mushrooms
yellow poylps

robchuck

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I've been out of the hobby for a few years, and reading through this board, things have really changed. I think I will get the Royal Gramma, the CBS (I will forget about the Peppermint shrimp), and I really like the idea for the Banggai Cardinal. I was at a LFS a few weeks back and saw one there. Pretty neat fish. Hey Bang Guy, do you know of anywhere I can read up on this fish??? I really appreciate all the help you all are giving this "recycled newbie".
Thanks!

bab

angels wont do well in a tank so young, wait 6 months until it is mature.. maybey wait a bit for the bioload to catch up with the fish you've just added, its still a new tank

robchuck

I ordered a Royal Gramma, a CBS, and a clean up crew. Thanks everyone for the info on the Banggai Cardinals and the dwarf Angels. I had planned on waiting until the end of the year to add one of these (so that my tank has time to mature), and just want to do a little research in the time being.
Thanks!

bang guy

Originally posted by RobChuck
I had planned on waiting until the end of the year to add one of these (so that my tank has time to mature), and just want to do a little research in the time being.

Two thumbs up for you!!!!!!