Tank moving, need help with Do's and Dont's

miami298

I had some information under a different title but I think this will attract more information.
I am buying a tank from someone who lives 30 minutes away. 120 gallons. Livestock consists of 2 fish, 1 shrimp and a few crabs. Only like 5 pounds of live rock and some sand were in the tank as well.
Any pointers to make the move go smoothly based on prior experience would make life great. Thanks in advance.

symon

take a few buckets with tops, put in some water form the tank drop the rock and critters in them and leave the sand in the tank, take out the majority of he water from the tank so you don't have alot of sloshing going on!
Good luck and becareful!

sfoister

Originally Posted by Symon
take a few buckets with tops, put in some water form the tank drop the rock and critters in them and leave the sand in the tank, take out the majority of he water from the tank so you don't have alot of sloshing going on!
Good luck and becareful!
What if the tank is full of water? Would it be a good idea to put all the water in a bunch of buckets and reuse that water so the tank doesn't cycle again?

cannonman

I took out everything when I moved my 75. Big plastic wash tubs work good as long as they are new. Buckets... what ever you can grab. Plan on it taking a while. sounds like you're going to need more rock too

symon

I personally would take as much of the water as reasonable, BUT you are going to disturb the sand no matter what, this will probably cause a minor cycle! But maybe do a test to check where things are 1st , that way you know once you set it all back up what you are looking for!
When i moved my tank , 100 years ago it seems! I didn't keep any of the water and washed out the sand completely, I did not know about benafical bacteria then and I inherited the tank from a friend that was moving and could not take it with him!

nel621

Originally Posted by Symon
Good luck and becareful!
Just in case,rocks in one bucket and critters in a separate bucket.

miami298

Thanks for all the good advice and the link to the other thread. I spent the day getting ready for the move and buying the equipment I would need to get it done. I'll let you know how it turns out in a few days :)

jayeden

is the tank glass or acrylic....when i moved my glass tank before....i greatly underestimated the power of the sand, after i finshed taking it all out, i realized how much and badly i had scratched the glass...without a word of a lie...the sand had scratched the glass so bad, i threw out the tank and purchased a new one...