Tank Moving Question????

hawkfish203

I am moving my tank tomorrow and am wondering if it would be better to put the fish into a 75g for a few days till the tank settles or should I just put them into the 125 as soon as I move it? I'm moving 100g water with the tank. Too much stress moving them twice?

J

jstdv8

catching the fish is stressfull.
when I moved mine my fish went in one rubbermade tote with some LR. powerhead and water and anotehr Rubermade totate had LR water powerhead and light on it. worked good, sand went in 5g pails and I riinsed it out as I removed it from the pail before puting it in the new tank.
Remember, the water doesnt have much of anything in it you need, so don't spend alot of effort keeping as much water as you can. If you get 50% to keep the fish and LR wet that will be more than enough. Fresh saltwater will do the trick, just like a large water change.

tangs rule

I have moved my mains several times, both short (130mi) and long (2100mi) distances and it seems best to set up a quick bare bones hotel tank, with PVC/coffee cups in the bottom for the fish, while the main gets setup&stabilized (which can take days). Then move them into an again stable&running DT. IME it's just easiest to put the fish and all critters u can catch into multiple buckets for the move, then once I get there, set up a small (30-55) gal hotel tank(s) and get the fish in once those are stable....Then I can spend days setting up (and filling) my mains, and getting them good&stable so when the fish/verts go back in, there are no worries - cause if there is a problem, they can come back out and go back into hotel tank.
I have moved my mains 4 times in 10 years, and I PITTY ANYONE HAVING TO MOVE BIG FISHTANKS & LIVESTOCK. Good luck, hope this helps

hawkfish203

I have a 75g and a 20g already set up that I could put them into for a few days until I get the 125 set back up. My LFS informed me that having to move them twice and putting them in a smaller tank would put more stress on them then putting them in a bucket for a few hours while I move the 125. My thought on the whole thing was that moving the 125 would stir up the substrate which could in turn cause multiple problems nitrate spike, ammonia spike, etc which would be a lot worse then putting them in a smaller tank for a few days and moving them twice PLEASE correct me if im wrong. ill give a list of fish and inverts if it will help.
Blueface angel
Eyeline tang
Clown with a 1' purple tip anemone
Two blue damsels
2' snowflake eel
Bluethroat Trigger
5" bubble tip anemone
and multiple crabs
I also have a few things in my 75 that I would be using which are
Hippo tang
3 green chromis
neon goby

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKFISH203 http:///forum/thread/383585/tank-moving-question#post_3356073
I have a 75g and a 20g already set up that I could put them into for a few days until I get the 125 set back up. My LFS informed me that having to move them twice and putting them in a smaller tank would put more stress on them then putting them in a bucket for a few hours while I move the 125. My thought on the whole thing was that moving the 125 would stir up the substrate which could in turn cause multiple problems nitrate spike, ammonia spike, etc which would be a lot worse then putting them in a smaller tank for a few days and moving them twice PLEASE correct me if im wrong. ill give a list of fish and inverts if it will help.
Blueface angel
Eyeline tang
Clown with a 1' purple tip anemone
Two blue damsels
2' snowflake eel
Bluethroat Trigger
5" bubble tip anemone
and multiple crabs
I also have a few things in my 75 that I would be using which are
Hippo tang
3 green chromis
neon goby

If you rinse the sand in saltwater you will wash way the toxins that might of been trapped. You should be fine to put your fish in as soon as you have the system up and running.
Putting the fish in another established tank for a few days can be stressful but healthy fish should be fine. IMO Either way you do it, they will be alright.

hawkfish203

What do you think about adding the hippo to my 125? Think the two tangs will fight? Figured with the move and all this would be the best time to do so. Otherwise i'll have to bring him to the LFS and he was my first fish we been threw a lot together.

tangs rule

I agree with flower, a healthy fish should stand a couple different tank. In my long move from Seattle to east Texas, they all spent 4 r 5 days in salt buckets during the drive, and then went into 20,30,&55 gal hotel tanks first, while I spent more than a week setting up the 3 mains (and filling) and getting them stable. Finally almost 2 weeks after the breakdown they again were back in their usual homes - they're tuffer than u think!
Any switching of fish would be a great time once your 125 is moved & ready. If it's ever gonna work, chances go way up after a breakdown & shuffle of a tank, Just be prepared to seperate and possible remove one or the other if signs of aggression appear.

saltfan

Use antistress in the water during the move, and in the tank being set up. Throw them in when the water is to temperature, they should be ok. Speaking from experience, ( 4 moves, not losing a fish ) you should be fine, even the Hippo. But, if you think that it will be a few days, have you thought about throwing them into the bathtub, for the swim room?? I love doing that, freaks the wife out.

hawkfish203

Great you guys are a big help!!!
Never thought about the bathtub kinda cool idea. I'm gonna hold off the move till next week I'm gonna order some more sand and a few other things and give it some more thought. I have no pressure to move it just really want to get it here I miss them.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangs rule http:///forum/thread/383585/tank-moving-question#post_3356117
I agree with flower, a healthy fish should stand a couple different tank. In my long move from Seattle to east Texas, they all spent 4 r 5 days in salt buckets during the drive, and then went into 20,30,&55 gal hotel tanks first, while I spent more than a week setting up the 3 mains (and filling) and getting them stable. Finally almost 2 weeks after the breakdown they again were back in their usual homes - they're tuffer than u think!
Any switching of fish would be a great time once your 125 is moved & ready. If it's ever gonna work, chances go way up after a breakdown & shuffle of a tank, Just be prepared to seperate and possible remove one or the other if signs of aggression appear.
Would you mind giving me some ideas on how to move a tank long distances like that? I am considering a move to FL and want to be prepared for what I may be getting myself into.

J

jstdv8

you can buy a cheap inverter that plugs into your car lighter and then plug a heater or two into that, you likley won't need a powerhead since the water will be moving around like crazy with all the rocking

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/383585/tank-moving-question#post_3356175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangs rule
http:///forum/thread/383585/tank-moving-question#post_3356117
Would you mind giving me some ideas on how to move a tank long distances like that? I am considering a move to FL and want to be prepared for what I may be getting myself into.
It would be easier to find a GOOD lfs in your new town, have them setup quarentine/hotel tanks for you, bag up the fishes and box them up in cooler, just like you receive things and ship 'em!! Let them know who goes with who and pay them for their efforts.....I couldn't use this option as ***** is about as fishey as it gets round here - so here is option 2:
Well - for starters I moved in winter - this was a problem as it was difficult keeping them warm, and a small airpump with a airstone in each bucket will by the action of the air bubbles cool the water - alot over just an hour or 2....being wintertime didn't help either as i'd be driving for 2 solid days with ambient temps outside below 30f..then 1.5 more with temps warmer -like 50...... so I had to buy the smallest heaters I could find (like 50watt) and put one in each bucket with fish (6-7 buckets total) and an airstone in each bucket too and ran 1 line from the airpump and with 6 or 7 "T" fittings, branch off the mainline into each bucket. I had to buy a fairly large (600w) 12 volt DC to 60Hz /120 volt AC inverter and wire it into the cab of the "Penski" moving truck I rented (so I could monitor it) and ran an extension cord thru to the very back. All the fish tanks & buckets of fish/gravel/verts/liverock were loaded LAST so during the drive south, at nite at a hotel I could unload the buckets and bring them inside with me. The buckets (old salt type) were all lidded, with a hole cut in the center for the ones I had fish in - but the liverock & aragonite buckets were all sealed, I think the coral/vert buckets were sealed too. Corals were bagged in ziplocks full of water then into buckets for protection.
I planned the move early on, and had everything I'd need on hand.....I got the rental 24 foot truck & wired in the inverter and ran xtension cord to the very back......then I emptied the house in Seattle xcept for the tanks and loaded the moving truck from the front to the back. leaving enough room for the mains&equip& 25-30 buckets.....The buckets with heaters & fish were set up 1st in the house so I could get them stable - - - I had a couple digital remote probe thermometers too - so I could monitor things early on, to set temps, and during the trip. I got the heater temps & buckets set up for the day that it took to breakdown the 3 mains - each bucket was 3/4 full of water and held 1 tang and only 1 or 2 smaller fish, heater, and airstone....nothing else... Then out came the LR and went into buckets and topped off with main tank water & sealed....the inverts & substrate went into buckets and were sealed with a lid. In total I had about 30 buckets. Finally now empty the main tanks/chillers/lights/equipment/junk were loaded on the moving truck....then a large tarp (water catcher) was laid down in the rest of the area in the back of the moving truck...the sealed buckets were loaded next - coral buckets surronded by LR & gravel -and blankets/bedding were placed on top (insulation)....LAST - the fish buckets were loaded and heaters&powerstrip&airpump plugged into the truck AC pwr unit and it twas time to drive for 4 days!
God that was fun - - - - not . . at a hotel after driving day 1 - (first floor room) I removed all 30 buckets from the truck and take inside as nittime temps would fall into the teens. and the ones without heaters needed a warmup anyway...the fish buckets with heaters were plugged in inside and their airpump was plugged in too.......didn't even try to feed the fish, I was too tierd and figured they'd not eat.....When I got up in the morning, I rechecked all the fish bucket temps and fed them just a nibble - most actually ate!!....loaded the sealed ones, then loaded the fish ones and plugged them in for the continuation of the trip. 2nd nite on the road was the repeat process - all buckets inside for the nite and back out in the morning, load up & go...
Once I got to Texas and (home) I got my 3 hotel tanks setup using LFS bought saltwater, premixed... 1ea 20,30, and 55gal cheep tanks were used for hotel, while i got the mains up & running / stable.... Got the fishes acclimated to the hotel tanks ....no substrate/rock. Just bare bones with coffee cups/pvc in the bottom - and used my canister filter floss that I removed in seattle and stored in water - to quick cycle the little Hang on Tank powerfilter units I had for the hotel tanks....got the water maker runnin, filling the rubbermaid brute trashcans, and spent a week setting up the mains and getting everything running....The fish were only in hotel for 7-10 days, then were able to go back into the mains.
It's best not to move! and sadly I have moved 2 more times since - but only 100 mile trips..but that's almost as bad!!....am not moving them again, will be buried in them......

At least in shorter moves, I can get the ro/di unit running at the new location, maybe a hotel tank or 2 - 3 and "pre set up" some before I show up with empty mains and everything in buckets.....
Notes/tips:
I kept everything underwater until i was ready to put it in a main & filll it. Once at the new place, I would put a powerhead & airstone in each liverock bucket for an hour or so each day just to keep it going good. after the move - the liverock was exactly the same as it was in Seattle - no loss.
In each fish bucket - I used a popsicle stick - tied the heater cord around it (knot) - lowered it thru the hole in the center of the bucket lid, and set the height so that the heater would not touch the bottom of the bucket & vibrate while driving - I wanted it suspended, 1/2-1 inch r so above the bottom. I also ran the buckets a little cool (76-78f) as I wanted them just warm....and if a heater went nuts - maybe i'd catch it b4 it cooked the little guys, as I would quick ckeck the fish at each gas stop/3 hrs or so.
If keeping fish in a bucket for prolonged periods and an airpump/stone are used - keep the bubble flow fairly low.....real high output thru an airstone/block really want to chill the water - and without a heater will likely cold shock your fish in an afternoon. The airpump I used was variable output so I could set up a nice medium/slo bubble rate in all 7 fish buckets. In the hot summer though, this will actually help cool a bucket of water, just dont overdoo it.
Use a good new blunt sharpie and label each sealed bucket contents and which tank it came from!
I did use a pinch of a powdered "oxygen releaser" or somthing like that in each fish bucket - it was a bluish powder and a good LFS in Seattle reccommended the stuff, but I can't remember anything more about it.....It came in a little white plastic jar with a white/silver label.
The only fish I lost was a damsel, I stupidly put him in a bucket with a single spot rabbitfish I had at the time. I assume he got stung, and duh - I knew better

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/383585/tank-moving-question#post_3356461
Thanks for the info!!
Sorry it got long, but it was a BIG ordeal, and alot of work - just for the tanks/fish/verts/corals/rock/substrate......much less the furniture/beds/kitchen/etc...that's easy moivin!!! by compare....
I planned it out 30 days in advance and just about had everything perfect. I hate moving with a very serious passion now, mostly cause of that 1 move......course the other 2 r 3 since didn't help either!!!! lol
good luck,
ken

tangs rule

P.S. Gemmy -
I didn't have any sps at that time of the move, only some lps, zoas & shrums and gorgonians.....they and most the cuc did very well for the move from Seattle to Texas.....But I was determined to keep my fishes though, so I went many extra miles for them..Overall it was a true pain in the ____ but afterwords, worth it to me...I'd still thought (think) it'd be easier to find a good local fish store in the new area and have them help with storing/receiving livestock till I was moved in and ready for 'em....if possible.
best wishes
tr

hawkfish203

So I'm finally moving the tank on Saturday! I have a couple of questions. First I bought about 15lbs of dry aragonite sand and was wondering can I add it during the move or would it possibly cause a ammonia spike (Maybe mix it with the old sand when I take it out)? Second I took down my 75 and I have about 50+ lbs of live sand in there can I add that if so should I clean it or anything like that? Last I should run some carbon after the move to try and remove any toxins that might have gotten stirred up? THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AGAIN!!!!

tangs rule

So I'm finally moving the tank on Saturday! I have a couple of questions. First I bought about 15lbs of dry aragonite sand and was wondering can I add it during the move or would it possibly cause a ammonia spike (Maybe mix it with the old sand when I take it out)? Second I took down my 75 and I have about 50+ lbs of live sand in there can I add that if so should I clean it or anything like that? Last I should run some carbon after the move to try and remove any toxins that might have gotten stirred up? THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AGAIN!!!!
I'd rinse off the new sand first, to get all the dust off - use a fine seive or old clean bath towel, then i'd add it / mix in...yes on the carbon. On the other sand - if it was clean/parasite/pest/disease free/and is still wet - never dried or got rotted/stinky i'd put it in.....however if it's been sitting in a bucket for a week r more (depending on temp) the bottom of the bucket can get anoxic and things can die/smell quickly - then i'd wash it and dry it, then start over with it....but if the stuff has come from a just broke down tank and doesn't smell dead/and is clear of bad critters, i'd use it - no rinse.