tank moving...

chadman

i am getting ready to move my tank today....i have read in past posts that it is bad to move your tank with any water in it cause you can break the seals...i was planning on emptying out all the water except enough to cover my sand bed..will this be too much weight still? i have a 30g tank with a 3-4 inch cc bed....

reefkprz

no worries, I moved my 75 with sand and enough water to keep it covered same thing with my 30G sump. just dont drop it, the water sloshing back and forth can make the weight shift quickly. (make sure your hands are dry when you pick it up)

chadman

sweet...yeah i hope we don't drop it!!! it shouldn't be all that heavy i don't think...thanks

chadman

i made the move! everything went smoothly...i did lose one damsel though in the ordeal...and i didn't kill him...to be honest he disappeared...i haven't tthe slightest idea what happened to him....what a shame....haha,,,

1knight164

I moved my 55 sixty miles. I put the LR into a clean trash can and transferred tank water enough to cover the LR. I put the fish, inverts, & corals into a water cooler with tank water. I put the rest of the water into 5 Gal containers leaving about two inches of water in the tank to cover the LS.
When setting back up, I siphoned as much of the dirty water out of the tank to get rid of all the crap that got stirred up from the sand. Added LR and more tank water, but only so the tank was 80% full. I then added fresh saltwater, sort of a water change. Once the sediment settled and tank has circulated, I acclimated the livestock back into the tank.

chadman

i only had to move about three miles...i put everthing into big tubs(fish,lr,water) then just put everything back....i didn't acclimate cause they water that they were in was exactly the same as hte water i was putting them into...everyone lived and my tank now lookds totally different that prior...