tank over run!

1journeyman

Folks, if you want to post advice to help thats great. If not, please find another thread to participate in. (I had to delete way too many posts on this thread)
This forum is not a place for an self-appointed few to tell everyone else who should or should not be in the hobby.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Folks, if you want to post advice to help thats great. If not, please find another thread to participate in.

Looks to me LIke you have a combination of hair algae and cyano bacteria. A few things I would reccomend.
1 manual removal take as much as possible out by hand you will be removign any nutrients the algae has consumed.
2 cut back on your photo period to about 8 hours a day (I dont know how long your lights are on currently but this may help).
3 when doing water changes try to suck out as much algae as possible
4 when doing your water change, take your rocks out one by one and scrub them with a toothbrish to remove as much algae as possible (do this in a bucket of tank water), also to swish your rocks around to rinse out any detritus that may have accumulated in the nooks and crannies
5 stir the top inch of your sand bed with your finger but dont go deeper than that, then while all the stuff is floating around do a water change to get as much out as possible.
6 if your water parameters permit it, get a cleaning crew in there asap to assist in fighting the hair algae.
hope this helps out.

ninjamini

I think that this is a new tank that is at the end of the cycle. Hair algae is exactly what he should have. So he just needs to let his a clean up crew do its thing and keep up with water changes.
Lastly, remember that with a growth of hair algae your nitrates and phosphates have been consumed. But imaging that they are still there. But instead of being in the water (where you can test for) its in the algae. As the algae goes away you will need to either run cheato (a macro algae) and/or keep up with water changees.
Here is a hold post I did about hair algae.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/255585/do-you-have-hair-algae
Do you have hair algae?
If you have a hair algae problem then read my cure all. I just recently took a tank off someone's hands, a very experienced reefer too, who had a hair algae problem that they could not fix. But the fix is so easy when you understand it. This is the instructions for a established tank. If your tank is under 3 months old read below* first.
Hair algae wont grow if you don't feed it.
1. Use Ro/DI water ONLY. If your not doing this then you are making a fatal mistake.
2. Pick off the big clumps of hair. Pull the rocks out you can and pull pull pull. Dip them back in the water to get the algae to hang down. Turn off the flow for the rocks you cant remove while you pick it off. By picking off the big clumps you remove the nitrates and phosphates from the water.
3. Know why it grows. It consumes nitrates, phosphates and light. Export the nitrates and phosphates with water changes and some cheto. Rember if you test says that you have 0 Nitrates and 0 Phosphates that does not mean you don't have them. It just means that they are consumed. If you have algae growing then you have nitrates and phosphates. Yea there in there.
4. Cut back on feeding. Where do you thing those nitrates and phosphates come from. If you have any really piggy fish then you may want to move them to QT.
5. Turn down the photo period by shutting the lights off and only turn them on for 6 hours a day. Most corals can handle this for a month. Just think of it as the rainy season.
6. Get a emerald and some mexican snails. Yea the big ones. They will both eat the short stuff.
7. Time. Give it 3-4 weeks then start to turn the lights to 7, 8...more hours till your back to a normal amount of time.
Done. Now I have my nano cube filled with sand, rocks, zoos and fish because I was able to follow this plan and he was not. Which is weird since he has an awesome sps tank.
*If your tank is new that is less than 3 months old then the question is not how to get rid of them but understanding that this is only part of the natural cycle of a new tank. If this happened just as your ammonia and nitrites test at 0 then its going to grow. Its the same reason because there is alot of nitrate and phosphate in the water. This would be the time to do your first water change and then add your clean up crew. They will take care of the algae along with water changes.
Remember don.t feed your nuisance algae and it wont grow.
Good Luck.

widowmaker

Although I see your point 1journeyman, it really wasn’t necessary to delete those negative posts. I read them and their opinions are just as valid as the rest. If they had done some research into my experience, they would have seen that I’m a long time aquarist but short time reef keeper (admittedly). They would have also seen that I did extensive research into the hobby, before I started it. Nearly all my posts have been questions about reef equipment, and some do’s/don’ts. One might also know that you may neglect to change the oil in your truck, or neglect to take out the trash this week, but you do not neglect what amounts to upwards of a $6000 in wall, 240 gal. reef project with its own 10’x5’ dedicated room behind the tank.
I made 2 major mistakes. I didn’t quarantine my live rock for 2 months (about how long it took before I noticed the 3 mantis shrimp and 2 monster crabs), but then again……who would? And, I didn’t post pictures when this first started to happen. Instead I tried to just fix the problem myself, where as I should have asked for help. But to answer some asked questions. I have (2) Iwaki 30RLXT pumps, rated at 960gph working the inlets and I have (3) Maxi-jet 1200’s on an alternating 20 second cycled wave-maker outlet strip. The pictures don’t show any movement, 1) because it’s a “still” shot (hahahaha) and 2) because I had the wave-maker turned off at that moment. The crabs were not the only problem, as stated above, there were 3 really swift and really clever mantis shrimp, working my reef as well.
I have attached a pre-problem photo, perhaps to ease any thoughts of this being an issue brought on by something I did or didn’t do intentionally and maybe remove a little of the “mud” that has been slung. There is also a photo of the smaller crab in question. Please note that the Lighting McQueen car is larger than a normal hot wheels car, just for reference (any members with a son 5-7 knew this already).
Thanks for the help that has been posted. I am going to start cleaning the tank, changing the waer and cutting the light this week, while the new crew is on order.

R

rattler739

As stated earlier use RO/DI water that will help a lot I had a algae outbreak and then started using RO water and it helped out a lot

groupergenius

Widowmaker, was that Florida live rock? I ask because that looks like a Stone Crab. I'm sure it didn't take him long to eat up your CUC.

widowmaker

Yea.....it Came From Tampa Bay. Him And His Bigger Brother Really Messed Things Up, But It Was Several Months After Everything Was Up And Running That I Noticed Some Empty/smashed Shells. Then Another Few Weeks Before I Noticed I Had Lost Control Of The Balance In The Reef.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by widowmaker
Yea.....it Came From Tampa Bay. Him And His Bigger Brother Really Messed Things Up, But It Was Several Months After Everything Was Up And Running That I Noticed Some Empty/smashed Shells. Then Another Few Weeks Before I Noticed I Had Lost Control Of The Balance In The Reef.
Well heck man, you had a tasty little snack for yourself there.
I would feel compelled to eat the claws on those buggers after what they did.

Looks like your getting the tank back under control which is the good thing.

m0nk

Although I see your point 1journeyman, it really wasn’t necessary to delete those negative posts. I read them and their opinions are just as valid as the rest. If they had done some research into my experience, they would have seen that I’m a long time aquarist but short time reef keeper (admittedly). They would have also seen that I did extensive research into the hobby, before I started it. Nearly all my posts have been questions about reef equipment, and some do’s/don’ts. One might also know that you may neglect to change the oil in your truck, or neglect to take out the trash this week, but you do not neglect what amounts to upwards of a $6000 in wall, 240 gal. reef project with its own 10’x5’ dedicated room behind the tank.
I made 2 major mistakes. I didn’t quarantine my live rock for 2 months (about how long it took before I noticed the 3 mantis shrimp and 2 monster crabs), but then again……who would? And, I didn’t post pictures when this first started to happen. Instead I tried to just fix the problem myself, where as I should have asked for help. But to answer some asked questions. I have (2) Iwaki 30RLXT pumps, rated at 960gph working the inlets and I have (3) Maxi-jet 1200’s on an alternating 20 second cycled wave-maker outlet strip. The pictures don’t show any movement, 1) because it’s a “still” shot (hahahaha) and 2) because I had the wave-maker turned off at that moment. The crabs were not the only problem, as stated above, there were 3 really swift and really clever mantis shrimp, working my reef as well.
I have attached a pre-problem photo, perhaps to ease any thoughts of this being an issue brought on by something I did or didn’t do intentionally and maybe remove a little of the “mud” that has been slung. There is also a photo of the smaller crab in question. Please note that the Lighting McQueen car is larger than a normal hot wheels car, just for reference (any members with a son 5-7 knew this already).
Thanks for the help that has been posted. I am going to start cleaning the tank, changing the waer and cutting the light this week, while the new crew is on order.
Yikes, that crab is nasty. My son has that Lighting McQueen car and I know how big it is so I'm kinda freaked out looking at the pic. Hehe.
At any rate, I'm personally not sure why people were so hard on you about the tank if you were truly looking for help getting it under control. Not to mention the fact that you had an interesting story behind the trouble. You're certainly being very gracious about the whole thing and I'm glad to hear you've taken steps to correct the issue. Hopefully some people will calm down a bit, but this is your tank and if you're taking responsibility then don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

1journeyman

Although I see your point 1journeyman, it really wasn’t necessary to delete those negative posts. I read them and their opinions are just as valid as the rest. ...
Some of the opinions were valid, but the way they were expressed was not.
Thank you for keeping an open mind and not being offended. Not all posters would have reacted the same way. This forum is to promote and educate people in our hobby; not to tell someone "you don't belong in this hobby".

rabbit_72

Geez, and I thought I had prblems! Good luck. You had a beautiful tank before the wrecking crew came into play, and I know it will be beautiful again!

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by m0nk
Yikes, that crab is nasty. My son has that Lighting McQueen car and I know how big it is so I'm kinda freaked out looking at the pic. Hehe.
omg
we have the same car, so the size of that crab spooks me out as well.

mushroomss

i agree journeyman but i never told anyone they dident belong in saltwater.I said if you let algae get that bad,and neglect it like that,maybe saltwater isent for you.I was saying that because a saltwater tank is a very precious thing.I love to see people tanks full of propagated coral but when someone sets up a tank and letts it go like that you could say it gets on my nerves.You know there was prob tons of coral in a show tank like that before this and im sure its all dead.Nice chunk of a reef gone......

widowmaker

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
omg
we have the same car, so the size of that crab spooks me out as well.
AND THIS WAS THE SMALLER ONE. THE BIGGER ONE WOULDN'T FIT IN A MASON JAR LID. LET'S JUST SAY HE GOT "WHACKED" BEFORE I THOUGHT ABOUT THE WHOLE "HEY LET ME TAKE A PICTURE AND SHOW MY PALS AT SFW.COM" IDEA. OH WELL.....SUCH IS LIFE!

I could have use them for drum fishing back at home on the gulf!!!!!

You could have bought a lesh and walk him around around the block like a dog.

reefreak29

hey i didnt see any live stock in there is it possible just to start over?
oh and that is the scariest hitchhiker i have ever seen