Tank parameters have been stable for the last 4 days, when can I add a fish?

kilofey

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 40 (will be getting a wc tomorrow, just waiting for sw to mix)
Ph- 8.2 - 8.4 (cant tell which color its closer to)
sg- 1.023
Temp- 77.4
Useing api liquid test kit & refractometer
My urchins, brittle stars, turbo snail, and corals all seem happy so far (got some oyster feast yesterday & theyre already looking better, especially the kenya trees, I swear theyve had some growth just since last night lol)
If theres anything wrong with my parameters (other than nitrates), please let me know :eek:) omg, this is getting more & more fun by the minute! *addiction sets in*

lion_crazz

Your parameters don't look bad at all. With a few water changes, you should be able to bring those nitrates down. I would not make anymore additions to the aquarium until they come down though. Plus, bringing them down will make your current inhabitants happy as well.
Do you have a protein skimmer on your tank? If not, a good skimmer would help bring them down greatly as well.

kilofey

I know I definately need one because the top of the tank is open and I live in the country where theres lots of bugs in the summer and they all seem to find their way into my tank, will a protien skimmer help the bugs that float on the water surface?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilofey http:///forum/thread/386547/tank-parameters-have-been-stable-for-the-last-4-days-when-can-i-add-a-fish#post_3396005
I know I definately need one because the top of the tank is open and I live in the country where theres lots of bugs in the summer and they all seem to find their way into my tank, will a protien skimmer help the bugs that float on the water surface?
Bright lights draw bugs....in the country it's a pain. Having screens on all doors and windows to the house will help.
Personally I would get one of those mosquito nets and drap from ceiling to just past the very top of the tank to keep bugs out if it's that bad...then again..maybe the fish will eat them. I had a freahwater tank and my tin foil barbs loved flies, I would stun them and toss them in.

kilofey

I have screen doors and screens on all windows, but these bugs are crafty lol. They sit & wait by the door for it to open. Im sure it will irritate me enough for me to do something about it, maybe ill just get some screen mesh and have the hubby fabricate something for the top of the tank

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilofey http:///forum/thread/386547/tank-parameters-have-been-stable-for-the-last-4-days-when-can-i-add-a-fish#post_3396038
I have screen doors and screens on all windows, but these bugs are crafty lol. They sit & wait by the door for it to open. Im sure it will irritate me enough for me to do something about it, maybe ill just get some screen mesh and have the hubby fabricate something for the top of the tank
LOL....When I was a young woman, I was visiting my Aunt in North Carolina....we were looking at her goats and suddenly she yells for us to run to the house....hurry, hurry she's yelling behind us as we all ran. I couldn't figure out the emergancy, but she said run so we did.
As we got in the door and no sooner slammed it shut...I hear tic tic tic...it was bugs hitting the door. She said at a certain time just before dark they come, me and my sister still laugh about that. So I totally understand about living in the country.
A mesh over the tank is your best bet. Just a couple of hooks on the ceiling and let the mesh drape down over the tank and trim it just below the opening...maybe secure it with velcro. The air can circulate and the bugs won't get in. I did that with a door I had with no screen and it worked great.

kilofey

Good idea :eek:)
Yeah, country livin has its perks, like its beauty and no neighbors and such... But god I hate the critters! Just the other day my dogs almost got bit by a rattle snake! I was on my way out the door to go to work... So I was a little late cause I had to kill the thing. U shouldda seen my "battle field" lol, I was so panicked and I didnt have a shovel handy, so I threw whatever was close by at the snake (which only pissed it off more lol) when I threw enough things at it to injure it, I ran and got a shovel and finished it off lol... Im not a snake person... Especially not the deadly kind lol... It was a bit chaotic.
Ill post a pic of my battle field in a bit :) now that its after the fact, its kinda funny