Tank PLumbing question

jsteiert

I read thru the section in the FAQ but did not find answers that fit my situation.
I am putting together a 65 gal tank with built in over flow, it is rated at 600gph. The bulkhead fittings for this tank are 1-1" and 1-3/4". I plan on using the larger one for my drain line (600 gph) and want to have my return "T" off so that I can put 2 nozzles or possibly 4, one in each corner.
I am looking at the mag 7 for a return pump. I'm predicting the distance from the pump to the top of the tank will be around 4'. I also plan on using a 20gal long for my sump.
Question 1. Should I use 3/4" piping for my return all the way from the pump to the nozzles or should I use reducers so that a larger pipe diameter can be used?
Question 2. Will a mag 7 be sufficient to operate a 4 nozzle return system? Any advantages in having more nozzles - 2 vs 4?
Question 3. Is there a preset height that the stand pipe should be at or is that a trail and error calculation? If trail and error how do I determine what the level of water should be in the overflow? example - should the water level be slightly below the openings in the overflow that water comes thru?
Sorry for all the questions but this is my first sump/fuge and plumbing operation and I dont want to foul it all up. If anyone has some input or suggestions on how to design this I would appreciate your input.

sly

Originally Posted by jsteiert
I read thru the section in the FAQ but did not find answers that fit my situation.
I am putting together a 65 gal tank with built in over flow, it is rated at 600gph. The bulkhead fittings for this tank are 1-1" and 1-3/4". I plan on using the larger one for my drain line (600 gph) and want to have my return "T" off so that I can put 2 nozzles or possibly 4, one in each corner.
I am looking at the mag 7 for a return pump. I'm predicting the distance from the pump to the top of the tank will be around 4'. I also plan on using a 20gal long for my sump.
Question 1. Should I use 3/4" piping for my return all the way from the pump to the nozzles or should I use reducers so that a larger pipe diameter can be used?
Question 2. Will a mag 7 be sufficient to operate a 4 nozzle return system? Any advantages in having more nozzles - 2 vs 4?
Question 3. Is there a preset height that the stand pipe should be at or is that a trail and error calculation? If trail and error how do I determine what the level of water should be in the overflow? example - should the water level be slightly below the openings in the overflow that water comes thru?
Sorry for all the questions but this is my first sump/fuge and plumbing operation and I dont want to foul it all up. If anyone has some input or suggestions on how to design this I would appreciate your input.
Question 1: I have a 72 gal tank with a 3/4 overflow and it works well... You could use a larger diameter pipe but in doing so you will get more noise and IMO you will not gain much
Question 2: I don't know about the Mag 7 but if you use more nozzles you will have more flow but lower velocity. I would say it's a give and take here and I can't really make a recommendation. In one hand you want more flow, but on the other hand it is velocity that stirs up a lot of the debris that gets swept into your filter system. You want velocity and you want volume so I really can't say which one to use with any scientific reason... My gut says go with the 4...
Question 3: In my experience you only need about an inch or so of water in your overflow. This has several advantages. First you don't want your overflow completely dry because it will make significant noise as the water churns down the drain. Second, if you try to set it to fill your overflow up you lose some beneficial aeration and you also run the risk of your tank overflowing if the drain becomes clogged. I have mine designed so that if the overflow becomes clogged, the sump will go dry before the overflow fills up. Then the water will stop flowing into the tank. That way under no situation can my tank overflow into the floor.

f14peter

Just a suggestion, but it might be easier to split the flow and create the multiple outlets after it returns to the tank. My AGA MegaFlow pipe kit came with a Y-shaped ball-flex tubing arrangement the simply screwed into the return and goes through the top edge of the overflow, allowing me to direct the flow in the tank in two directions. Pretty sure it uses a standard size FPT so it wouldn't be difficult at all to cobble together whatever you want with PVC fittings.
Also, and I'm not exactly sure about this, but if you split the return before it reaches the tank (such as under the tank and having multiple pipes going up to the tank), you may be increasing your headloss since you'd be doubling/tripling/etc at least half the height you have to pump water. But again, not sure.
BTW, I use a Mag7 and their flow-chart specifies about 480GPH at a 4-foot head, just about right for a 600GPH overflow as I understand it's better if you don't push the overflow to its maximum capacity.

cubsfan

I think you will probably need a larger pump. The head loss for 4 feet is for a straight line. The more "T" or 90 deg. angles the more head loss you will have. You can always "T" off with a larger pump and return some of the flow back into the sump/fuge, control this with a valve.

jsteiert

OK Im getting some good feed back now I appreciate it guys, I do plan on one discharge and one return line, but the return line once it has entered the tank I want to tee off and run to each side of the tank. On each corner (the two rear corners) I want a directional nozzle for water flow, but wanted to know about putting a nozzle in each corner (4 total). Cubsfan you said it wont be enough flow from a Mag 7? How will a Mag 9.5 (?) at 950 GPH do? I suppose this will be more than enough flow. I under the diverter you mentioned with a split going back to the sump.
Now about pipe diameter for the return line, should I stick with the 3/4" pipe all the way or increase the size and reduce it down at the bulkhead fitting?
Like run 1" piping all the way thru from nozzle to pump but reduce it back to 3/4" at the bulkhead?

joncat24

go with the mag 9.5 with a ball valve to throttle it back if it is too much flow.
Use 3/4" plumbing on all return lines and try to reduce the number of 90 elbows used
Mine seems to flow better with 2 45's instead of one 90 if you follow what i am saying.