Tank set up questions

rwhite

Long story short--looking into buying a house, may have to move quickly (30-40 days, depending on closing), my brother said I could set up a tank at his house for the interim, dont want to use fish to cycle unless we can catch one of our damsels, more worried about the corals than anything. Any ideas on how we can make an easy transition for our livestock? For instance: An early water change, remove some of DT rock and use the water siphoned to "start" the new tank and continue doing this until everything is moved --water and all. And then we can take our time when starting a new (hopefully bigger) tank. Any suggestions or ideas would be great. We're only looking right now, but should we start the tank at my brothers at our earliest convenience?:help:

reefraff

Temporary tank, yes?
If you have plenty of live rock using water and rock from your current system and going bare bottom might work. Worth considering at least. Good Luck.

rwhite

Definitely bare bottom and, as far as rock, I'm pretty sure we have plenty for the current 55, but that brings up the real question. Assuming we try to jump start another 55, will it be necessary to have the same amount in both tanks or will removing only a little at a time from our main DT screw up our natural filtration there? For instance: The last thing I would attempt to move would be the rock with a BTA and 2 hosting/mated Clarkii clowns that have been laying eggs regularly for the past 2 mos. or more. I know the entire move may mess them up, but unfortunately we may have no choice. Anyway, will having say less than half the LR in the DT be detrimental to the health of the BTA or any of the corals for that matter?
I would like to just start a new tank, have it cycle and all and THEN start moving a little here and there, but even then, will the BTA be okay in a newly est. tank? We really need some help on this one. I feel that using the same water may make the transition easier for the more delicate specimens such as the BTA, but I'm not sure. I worry for our babies so much that I dont know what to do. Would it be better to move them first with est. water, in the middle, or last? And then to move everything again! I'm getting stressed just thinking about it, how are the fish, corals, and other inverts going to take it?
H is for hurry
E is for ergent
L is for love me
P is for p-p-please help me (to quote Yellow Submarine)

neoreef

Given that Steve Weast moved out his 500 gallon tank and replaced it with his 850 gallon tank in 48 hours, You should be able to do this.
I have no experience doing this, but I am thinking that if you move the whole thing all at once, you may be better off. If you move all your live rock and water to the new tank, it should not need to cycle. The water and rock should still have the bacteria needed to process ammonia as always. The sides of the tank should not be contributing that much. Get a bunch of 5 gallon buckets, and load your rock and water together, drive to your brother's and deposit in the new tank, and go back for more. Take the fish and anemone last. It ought to work. What do other folks think?

rwhite

Thanks, neo. Thats kinda what I thought I should do, but not sure if a slow transition would be better or not. Being only a 55g, it should only take a day or less (hopefully). The hardest part would be having to go "visit" our tank til the next move. I'd hate to move them one day and then move them again too quickly, say within a week or so. Just dont know, any one with moving exp., please chime in.