Tank set up ???

lissalex

Hi!
I am considering buying a 31" deep tank. If I want leathers, mushrooms, soft corals, and a few fish, what kind of lighting should I look at using?
Thanks!
Lissa

birdy

If all you want is mushrooms and soft corals I would look at VHO or pc lighting. What is the length on the tank?

michaeltx

I would even look into MH lighting I have noticed since going to MH from PC everything is thriveing much better than with the PC's. better coloration on the corals aswell.
Mike

lissalex

It's a 60 gallon hex that is 22" wide and 31" deep. What other suggestions do you have for a beginner? Thanks!

michaeltx

are there any type of corals other than leather and polyps that you are thinking about wanting?
ever think you will get any SOS or clams or just soft corals and maybe LPS corals?
Mike

lesleybird

Hi,
If you have not yet used the tank, I would take it back for exchange for another shape. I had a 30 gallon fresh water hexagon once and it was very difficult to clean because of the depth. Other problems are small surface area for gas exchange, poor circulation near the bottom, limited space for fish and creatures that like to hang out in rocks near the bottom, and I know your arm can't be 30 inches long. I think the number of fish will be a lot more limited in number due to a lot of fish have larger horizontal territories vs. vertical territories, meaning you could keep more livestock happy in a shorter tank with more bottom and surface area. The fish just like more room to swim side to side vs. up and down. Also, there is the problem of hanging filters and skimmers on the short sides of the hexagon tanks.
If you cannot take it back, I am sorry.....these are just my thoughts on that shape of a tank. I am not meaning to degrade your tank or to make you feel bad. It's just that I have also read in fish books, and seen for myself that even though these deep and narrow tanks may look nice, they have a lot of draw backs.
Good luck to you, Lesley

michaeltx

well I missed that all together LOL
yeah if its a octo tank they dont make good SW tanks. gor for a rectangle or something rather than a octo tank
Mike

lissalex

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone! I was considering the hex only because of the smaller amount of wall space it takes up, but maybe I'll go with a 36" or 48" rectangular tank instead!
Again, I appreciate your help!!! :)
Lissa
And you're right, I definitely don't have a 30" arm!!!

lesa

I have wanted to change my hex into a sw for ever but like everyone has stated there is no room for all the stuff.