tank size and filtration

mainejo1

I am almost three months into my newest "addiction" and am having a wonderful time. I unfortunately only started with a 30 gal. tank, and have realized that I need more. I have about 60 lbs. of live rock with many hinding places for my clowns, damsels, cleaner shrimp, coral beauty, and manderin goby. I just got a sea pen to complete the setup, and wow, what a fun animal that is! At any rate, I think I want more, so I am leaning towards getting at least a 55gal fish only tank, and using my 30 gal for a small reef setup. I have a biowheel 330, and it seems to be doing well. I do water changes every 2-3 weeks, and my levels have been great. My question to all of you experts is what size tank and what kind of filtration do you think I should get for my fish only setup? I thought about selling the 30gal and getting a 125 reef/fish setup, but prefer two tanks that are of a reasonable size. I like the biowheel, but know so little about filtration so any info would be most helpful. What about protein skimmers? If I go 55 gal do I need one? Thanks so much, this is a great way for a novice like myself to learn what I need to keep my new family members happy and healthy!

fishgirl

I currently have only a 30gallon myself, only for the reason that my parents will not allow ant bigger, but i'm dying for something bigger!
Anyway the biowheel is great.. I have one on my display tank, but the UGF works fine in my Quarantine Tank. Scratch the protein skimmer unless you want very delicate inverts. Read up on all the different kinds. If you have more questions, ask.

kris

I agree the bio-wheel is a great filter but you'll need a little more than that to run your new larger tank. Understand though that there are as many different filters and combinations of filters as there are people using them. If you have the cash-one of the most effective methods is the wet/dry and a skimmer. Don't underestimate the protein skimmer, it is a very valuable tool and I'd lay money that the majority of hobbyists use one. I have had good luck with the Fluval canisters, and the bio-wheel, but am now replacing the bio-wheel with the bak-pak II on my bigger system. I've heard great things about them from others on this site. (they are designed for biological filtration and protein skimming in one unit.) Good Luck

clownfish

I will set up a 55 reef in a few months. I will use an Emperor 400 filter with live rock and live sand. I won't buy a skimmer since I'll just have the less delicate animals. I will use carbon in the emperor's media containers and filter floss in the cartridge compartment to avoid buying the expensive cartridges. I will have some powerheads also. One triphosphor and one actinic. Shrooms and other soft corals will be the only corals in there. I also want to have one coral beauty, a small damsel, a firefish, a yellow tang, a cardinal, and a clown.