Tank size and shapes?

camfish

I've heard that a rectangular tank is the best type of tank. This may not be true though. I understand that deep tanks (like octogon) can have problems with the light reaching the bottom and with aeration. But I'm wondering why people say that the rectangular shape is best. I mean, what makes them better than wave or bow fronts? Is there anything? Did I hear wrong?

joebob7

Well I would say that rectangles are better than bowfronts because bowfronts cost extra with the bent glass, if I am right.

jackri

I hate bowfronts due to the fact you always have that curve angle to deal with.. you can't look at things straight on. Other than that it's just preference.

natclanwy

Bowfronts make photography almost impossible and can really bother your eyes when you are trying to view the microfauna on your LR.

woody189

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/2907906
Bowfronts make photography almost impossible .
Wow. I had no idea. I always wondered why I could never take decent pics of my tank. Don't I feel dumb
And I think rectangles are probably best because they take most advantage of the area. There is more side to side swimming space. An octagon is tall, but the fish has no space to swim. They can only move up and down.
I think the tall tanks are good for seahorses though, not sure though