Tank size for Tang

buzz

The opinion on Yellow Tangs has somewhat changed, and has been debated here for some time. From what I understand now, a tank with a 4 ft - footprint will do OK. Typically, that is no less than a 50-55g tank. Of course, the larger the better.
The reason is that they need space to dart back and forth.
Kole Tangs stay the smallest out of all of them, so perhaps that is the way to go.

stacyt

I kept a yellow tang in a 55 gallon for several months. I always thought that he was happy. He constantly darted back and forth throughout the tank. Copnstantly on the move. After I moved him into a 240 I noticed a big difference in his behavior. He spends a lot of time just cruising around picking at the LR, and a few times a day he will do several laps around the tank. He seems more relaxed in the 240. After seeing the change in behavior, I personally would not put a tang in a 55 again.

kpk

would a 2-3" emperor do ok in a 110gal FOWLR 5ft long and also a sohal tang for awhile anyways

chris23

I heard that 75 gallon is the least you want you go for Tangs. I upgraded from a 46 to a 155 so I could house some of these awesome fish.

N

nanoambiance

FOR CHRIS 23
When you said you went from a 45 to a 155 tank? Did those tanks happen to be bowfront tanks? Just curious?

chris23

Hey NanoAmbiance, yes both of the tanks are bow front. I love the look of a bowed front. Just curious.....why you ask????
:)

moopiespoo

I wish I had a quarter for every time this question was asked.:) I kept a young yello tang in a 55. As he grew you could tell he was just unhappy, so I finally gave him away. If your plans were to upgrade to a larger tank eventually then IMO a 55 would be okay with a juvi.