Tank size question

W

weatherby

This might seem like an overly simple question but:
What are the measurements of a standard 75gal tank? I know they're 'deeper' than my 55g, but the same height and length... That is: 48" long, by like 20some high, but the depth of the tank .. front to back... is wider, correct? They're more 'square' from the ends than a 55gal is, right?
I ask because it seems that not many of the 'custom shops' that are commonly talked about online have a 75 listed at all or if they do it's a 75 tall or 75 long or some odd variation...
As I mentioned I have a 55g now but don't like how narrow, again, front to back wise, it is but I don't really have much room to go large, which is why I was thinking a 75 would be deeper but same length and height and all so that would make arranging rocks and equipment etc in it a lot easier... Though if I'm going to buy a new tank I'll just order it reef-ready from the get go and plumb a fuge/sump.
But anyway, I'm really just trying to sort out a game plan at this point. I think I'd like to upgrade to a 75g reef-ready tank with sump etc with front and sides made from Starphire glass & the back just blacked out. Sounds simple, eh? Heh, wish it were... Guess I'll keep looking around. :thinking:

sepulatian

The 75 is, I believe, a little bit taller than a 55, but not by much, same length and deeper from front to back. Someone else will know the exact measurements, but they don't take up much more space other than sticking out further from the wall. Sounds like a good choice

chuckcac

55 = 48x20x13
i think its 48x20x18
... (48x20x18)/231 =75
DragonZim - you out there... you have a standard 75 right?

W

weatherby

Thanks all!

Yeah, just measured mine and it's only 13" deep vs 18". That's cool, it'd be bigger in the dimension I'd like it to be. The 55g looks like it's too narrow and it's hard to get big rocks in along with the filters/skimmer etc.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the dimension info!
NOW:
Would it be better to buy a custom built one, or order from a LFS who can do the drilling in-house? I think the LFS is right around $110 for the tank + $80 or so for the drilling on a 75g if that helps at all. The only thing is I have no idea where they get these tanks from and I don't know if they have anything special about them like Starphire front walls or anything.... Which is something I'd kinda like to have from what I've seen...
:happyfish
Any opinions?

costa13

if you really want a lot of room for rockwork, I would look into getting a custom tank built. I am thinking about having a custom 150 built, and the dimensions would be 48x30x24. It is 30inches deep which gives you alot of room for rockwork, for example you could build two big islands of LR in a tank that deep to make it more like a real reef.

mandarin w

There are a lot of choices for a tank that is 48inches long. It is such a nice size. But, you need to remember that you would be increasing the weight that you would be placing in a much smaller area. You need to be sure that the floor in that area can handle that much more weight. I promise you that a 150 gallon with a sump in it will weight up to 4 times more than that 55 that is sitting there now. Just something to consider.
As for getting a 75gallon drilled. Check your LFS, a lot of times they will carry, or be able to get a factory built reef ready tank for you. I suggest this because, there is a chance that while drilling your tank, it may crack. Most places that drill the tanks, will not guarantee the tank not to crack.
You end up with a cracked tank you can not use, and out the money you paid to drill. And $80buck sounds like a lot. My LFS drills for $10buck a hole.
See if you can just have them get you a factory built tank, It is safer, the warrenty will still be intact. and it will already have the overflows in it that you will need. I know our LFS carries them for around $300 for a 75gallon, and $600 for a 120.

W

weatherby

Originally Posted by mandarin w
There are a lot of choices for a tank that is 48inches long. It is such a nice size. But, you need to remember that you would be increasing the weight that you would be placing in a much smaller area. You need to be sure that the floor in that area can handle that much more weight. I promise you that a 150 gallon with a sump in it will weight up to 4 times more than that 55 that is sitting there now. Just something to consider.
As for getting a 75gallon drilled. Check your LFS, a lot of times they will carry, or be able to get a factory built reef ready tank for you. I suggest this because, there is a chance that while drilling your tank, it may crack. Most places that drill the tanks, will not guarantee the tank not to crack.
You end up with a cracked tank you can not use, and out the money you paid to drill. And $80buck sounds like a lot. My LFS drills for $10buck a hole.
See if you can just have them get you a factory built tank, It is safer, the warrenty will still be intact. and it will already have the overflows in it that you will need. I know our LFS carries them for around $300 for a 75gallon, and $600 for a 120.
Thanks for the info! Though I think my math must be off because the total for a reef ready tank from the LFS that specializes in tanks etc is $185 total. I think my friend who's getting a 125 from the same shop told me it was like $200-some, maybe like $225-$250. So the prices aren't bad from this shop, and from what I gather they stand by their work, you order a reef ready tank you get that, if they screw up the drilling, it's their fault not yours so you don't get screwed. They're a very small ma-&-pa shop, quite literally, that just so happens to have expertise in aquarium tanks.
As for the weight: I won't be upgrading until I move sometime this year and I plan on setting up something so that I can have a sump/fuge above the DT and all of the plumbing out of sight etc, so there's a lot of work to do yet. I was just thinking that if I came across a good deal on a tank the size I Want that I could snag it and then store it until ready to get it up and running.
I guess I'll have to check into what tanks this shop starts with and that'll help me sort out what sort of options I have with regards to construction etc.
Would any of you say the cost increase for using starphire glass is worth it? Or is it just to astronomically priced at this point?