Tank size vs. number of fish for QT

iluvreefs

:help: I've got 13 fish in my 55g saltwater reef tank. I need to put them all in a QT to get rid of ich and am wondering what size tank should I have to accomodate that many fish. I don't want smaller ones to die because of lack of space and territorial behaviors of other fish. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

lion_crazz

Wow, 13 fish is a lot. Can you list what fish you have? That will help us determine what size QT you need.

iluvreefs

I've got a maited pair of Perc. clowns, a hippo tang, a pigmy angel, a domino damsel, a 6 line wrasse, 2 small chromis's, a firehead goby, a mandarin and a sand blenny. Ok I guess that's only 11 but still enough. Had a QT tank set up but my Newfoundland dogs were chasing each other through the house and knocked it over, so I'm having to start over once again. I had the fish as they came into my house in the QT tank, but somehow, someway, I got ICH. Guess with my working schedule, I tend to lose track of the days and must not have left each fish in the QT long enough. I thought I left each one in for 6 weeks, but it's obvious that I dropped the ball somewhere. Hence, my current situation.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to say, but you would need about a 55 gal tank. Do you have LR, inverts? If you don't have a reef tank, it may be easier to move the rocks and inverts, then to move the fish. Hyposalinity could be done in the display so long as there are no LR, inverts, corals.

lion_crazz

I agree. Your best bet is to either set-up another 55 gallon QT, or to move your rock and inverts and use your display. However, you would have to move the mandarin to where ever you move the live rock because he needs the pods from the live rock to live.

iluvreefs

I have about 75-80 lbs. of LR, 50 lbs. LS, one serpent star, a skunk shrimp, some hermit crabs and a load of snails. My question is if I remove the LR and invertabrates, how will my LS be affected by the hyposalinity? I'm sure whatever inverts that I can't see in the sand will probably die. It's an unfortunate circumstance that I am in right now, but a learning experience none the less. If one person learns from this, then this thread will be a positive thing, however, I'm afraid that most but not all will not listen because as human beings we have a tendency to think we know everything. In this hobby though, you never know all the answers and are constantely seeking more knowledge. I am lucky though in the aspect that I used to work in a LFS where one of my fellow employees just graduated from college with a degree in marine biology, so her insight and education allowed me and others to learn at a cellular level the ins and outs of a saltwater aquarium and its inhabitants. As a nurse, I was completely in on all that talk...lol. Thank you for responding to my thread and the insight that you gave.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have found that bristleworms and brittlestars have good survivability under hypo conditions, though there will be casualties. The bacteria will be fine, and any micro-organisms lost will be replenished when the LR returns. If you go this route, don't forget to continue to feed your LR.
Do you have a refractometer?