tank size?

M

melissa

I have a 29gallon and am finding it fun but small. I have decided I would love to have a big tank, what size would you all suggest, I would like to have some bigger fish. Is 100gallon ok or should I go bigger? Are there any problems with big tanks that you wont find with the smaller ones? I have read where most of you say the bigger ones are easy to take care of. I know I want one more tank but I dont want to make a mistake, had I known how much I would love this I would have invested in a much bigger tank!

daluminum

Look in your bank account.. figure out the balance on your credit card.. then go and buy one.. :D :D actually I like using only 55 gallon's seem easy to take care of and they require minimal expense.. but If I had $$ I think I would buy a 75 gal at most. you dont really want a tall tank. or even a deep tank. mainly wide.. as thats the only part you can see.. I think most 75 gal. are 60X15X24 .. just guessing.. but basically its about a foot longer than a 55 gallon.. but you dont have to worry about excess lighting for a deeper tank.. So Im gonna stick with 55's. anyway.. where in texas are you?? enjoy the hobby.

thor

if you got the money get the biggest tank you think is good so you can get a better variety of fish

tnr

I jumped into this hobby with a 125 gal i was making a reef.After 10 months it broke.I was not happy but my wallet was.So i set up a 90 gal and i like it alot more then the 125. If you hce the space and money go as big as you what.The bigger the easier to keep stable.
good luck on your decision.

fshhub

you will probably enjoy a larger tank better, they are easier to take care of, as for eaase, the larger the footprint(l x w), the better
for beginners, it is actually best to get a 75 to 125 rect., they are much more stable as far as h2o quality, and aren't too much to handle, bu tmost of us are also limited as far as budget and or space
Imo, i would look into a rect 75 to 125 and go as big as i could afford, bear in mind you are also gonna want to get enough lr and skimmer and circualtion good enough for your tank(lighting can be done slowly, as you get ready for inverts, you cn add more), now realize that you will also need more sand too, but sand is relatively inexpensive(it's mostly the lr and skimmer along with tank stand and light and hood which will cost)
another thing: consider whether or not you intend to use a sump, they are a great help, and can make your tank more viewable, by putting your heater and some powerheads and skimmer in it, anyhow, if you are considering a sump, purchase it with the overflow built in, it's normally @50 to 100$ more, but is easier to maintain and won't loose it's prime, like a hang on can

krusk

Get the bigest tank that you can affort
I have 75E and thinking get another 180.
My friends have 72 Bow front and also want to get another 155 Bow front.
At first we though 7x gallons is big enough but it is way too small compare to the natural enviroment of any species you want to add to your tank.

frenchman

I'm like you. I would love to upgrade my tanks and get something larger. AS everybody mentioned above, the problem is the cost. Bigger is nicer, sometimes easier (more stable) but you have to also think that larger means more money on everything. You probably need better filter, uv light, skimmer, powerheads, live rocks... I know that if I were to go larger, I really would want to get the best I could for this tank. For me, it's a budget problem. Make a wise choice! :D