tank sizes?

vlondi

I am really interested in getting into saltwater aquariums but am limited in budget (I work part-time at a vet clinic, not much income). I would like to put together a nice little tank, slowly, but also have to consider my monetary needs.
Do small tanks usually do well? I am thinking about a 5 gallon tank but can seriously consider going as high as 10-12 gallons. Anything higher than that may be a strain on my budget.
Will I be seriously limited in fish choice? Is the upkeep much more? Should I just save up for a few more months and get a much larger tank?
As of now I have spent no money on anything for this. There is a pretty nice fish store in my area (Charleston, SC if it helps) where I should be able to pick up my basic goods. If I should order it rather than get it from a store, please let me know.
Any basic help you can provide will be much appreciated. I have wanted a saltwater tank for quite some time and will put forth any and all work it entails. Thanks.

sula

I started with a 10 gallon - it has a lot of limitatons and it's more upkeep in some ways, but it's also really fun!
A word of warning - this hobby can be habit forming - I now have a 29g as well....

mbrands

Vlondi,
The general rule I've heard is one inch of fish (at their adult size) per 5 gallons of water. Saltwater is FAR more limiting than freshwater. I'd go as big as you can.
Mike

mbrands

Vlondi,
Sorry, I didn't realize you also asked about products. As with anything else, shop around. Sometimes you'll find better deals at retailers, sometimes online. If you have specific questions, just ask.
Mike

obarrera

Vlondi,I think you'll be fine starting with a 10g(not a 5g).I would just let it mature a little,like 3 months before adding any fish.I started with a 10g and I have 3 fish in there and nitrite,nitrate,and ammonia are all at 0.
I would add alot of live rock to the tank(I think it helps alot),I now have about 26lbs of live rock in mine.
But you do need to top off everyday though.
I have almost all the time I want to take care of my tank so maybe that's why I haven't had really big problems with it.
And im not saying a 10g is better then a bigger tank(cause it isn't)but im just telling you that if you can't afford anything bigger then just go with a 10(or 12).

z-r0

keep in mind that as the size of the tank you want gets bigger, everything else gets more expensive: filtration is more expensive, skimmers cost more, you need more sand, more rock, everything gets more expensive, thats kind of the issue im dealing with right now

vlondi

I just went to a couple of fish stores in my area and decided to go along the lines of a 29-35 gallon tank. That's a fair bit bigger than the 5g I was thinking of, no? I imagine my choices on fish, corals, etc. will be a good bit better.
I have also bought a book on setting up the aquarium. It has what seems like really good general information but many things conflict with what I read on the forum. I would like some opinions and clarifications if you don't mind. I will start with a few for now:
The book says to avoid live rock for now. They say that it may be too complicated for a beginner and to use a mechanical and chemical filter instead. I see a big trend towards live rock on the forum; should I go for that?
It also says for a beginner to stay away from invertibrates. I want a few eventually (slugs and shrimp, mostly) and have read a few threads where invertibrates are suggested as "essential" for a balanced tank. True?
A friend has offered to give me a tank. If he has one of a size I like I will have that soon. I should be able to get a stand and a few of the mechanical units I need. I will have things started to get set up within a month and just need a little advice on getting started.
The book suggested that I use new sand (aragonite is what I'll probably get) but to seed it with established sand from a fish store to promote the good bacteria growth. Should I go ahead and do this or just do something else? I know I'll have to let the tank sit for a good 4-8 weeks before fish anyway but if seeding helps I'm all for it.
Sorry for the length of the post, I just really want to get started. I'm about to get Search happy so hopefully questions will be answered soon. Thanks much.

wax32

I'm not much farther along than you. My tank is in it's second week of cycling. Main thing is: READ A LOT!

benj2112

Same suggestion as wax32...Read, read, read, study, study, study before you buy anything!!!
Now, I think most stores say you souldn't start a salt tank with anything smaller than a 29, but most modern saltwater books I have read say not to start with smaller than a 40. Lots of people don't, but it helps with the stability issue and how much you can keep in the smaller tanks issue.

benj2112

Also, surf this message board! People as questions I don't or wouldn't even think of asking all the time on it. It is a big help.

sula

"The book says to avoid live rock for now. They say that it may be too complicated for a beginner and to use a mechanical and chemical filter instead. I see a big trend towards live rock on the forum; should I go for that?"
YES!!!

benj2112

The book says live rock may be too difficult for beginners? What book is this…or how old? I think keeping rocks in a tank are much easier the fish that come after that. Please don’t tell me the book tells you to use an undergravel filter. Not a flame, but I am actually really interested in what book would actually say that.

sula

Yes, and I also don't know why they'd say to avoid inverts?
At the top of this page, there is a search button. Search on "saltwater 101" with a user name 007 - can't beat those threads.

vlondi

Setting up a Saltwater Aquarium by Gregory Skomal
He doesn't say to avoid live rock entirely, he just says that it can be "challenging" for a novice at this. He says that if you somehow manage to kill the organisms on the live rock you can seriously degrade the quality of the water in your aquarium. He does comment that it improves the look and filtration of your system if you get a good piece of live rock and keep it healthy.
As for invertibrates, he says that they can be challenging to keep healthy. He recommends that one gain a decent amount of experience with saltwater aquariums before attempting to keep invertibrates. He also mentions that having too many fish with inverts will increase nitrogeneous wastes and kill them.
He does mention undergravel filters along with pretty much all filters; he gives pros and cons for each type of filter. He suggests a combination of mechanical, chemical, and biological filters.
I'm just saying this stuff for second opinions; I like the look of live rock and inverts so would like to have them if possible. Thanks again.

dacia

Live rock is NOT hard to keep at all!!! In fact, I believe my tanks would have crashed WITHOUT it! By all means, get some!!!
Inverts will keep that tank clean. They are not hard to keep as long as you acclimate them properly. Use the drip method detailed on this website to ensure safe acclimation to your tank.
My first ever reef was a 30 gallon:

jacknjill

Originally posted by Vlondi
As for invertibrates, he says that they can be challenging to keep healthy. He recommends that one gain a decent amount of experience with saltwater aquariums before attempting to keep invertibrates. He also mentions that having too many fish with inverts will increase nitrogeneous wastes and kill them.
[/B]
invertebraes are easy too. invertibraes are usually the FIRST thing you put in a tank after the cycle is complete. and having too many fish wont kill them un less there is a ammonia spike. it justs gives them more to clean/ eat

dacia

And I would stay away from undergravel filters. They are great in goldfish and tropical tanks, but do more harm than good in saltwater due to their amazing ability to trap detritus and harbor nitrates.

sula

I completely agree with Dacia.
Also, your live rock IS your biological filtration.....get about 1# per gallon.

jacknjill

Originally posted by Vlondi
He doesn't say to avoid live rock entirely, he just says that it can be "challenging" for a novice at this. He says that if you somehow manage to kill the organisms on the live rock you can seriously degrade the quality of the water in your aquarium. He does comment that it improves the look and filtration of your system if you get a good piece of live rock and keep it healthy.
[/B]
Not trying to be mean, but whats so hard about rock? you put it in the tank and thats it. lol. but anyways, you should DEFINATELY get some live rock. it helps tremendously with filtration and gives the fish some places to hide. also in the future, if you decide to start a reef, the corals will "live" on the rock. a very good book to read is The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fuller. im not sure about that other book you have. jmo though