Tank & Stand question

bluecedars

New member :) Hi, I have just joined this forum and just starting out with setting up my salt water tank. I am taking it slow and a little at a time cause I want to make sure everything is correct or close as I can get it. I bought a nice 40 gallon tank and some accessories from an ---- auction. Everything new and in good shape. I needed a stand, of course, and went to Wal Mart and bought the one they had for tanks 40-50 gallons. Now here is my situation. The stand is somewhat larger than my tank. My tank is centered on the stand but front and back extend about 3/4 inch. Length wise the tank does not even make it to the ends of the stand. With no solid top on the stand, this makes the tank just sitting on the sides and corners. I was going to go buy a piece of board to cut down and make for a solid top on the stand, but don't want to do this if it just won't support my tank right. I hope this is making sense. Now my question is will this be okay support wise for my tank or shyoudl I just see about getting another stand that fits correctly? I realize salt water is heavier and sure don't want the tank to crack or anything. I appreciate any help you guys can offer.
Janet

cb

:) First let me welcome you to the board, you will find alot of good information on here. If I were in your situation I would take the stand back and find one that fits your tank properly. You might try measuring your tank and then take a tape measure with you when you go.

bluecedars

Thanks, I have been pretty much thinking along those lines. There is a store near here that has a used 50-gallon tank and stand that all fits correctly. I think I may go for a trade if possible. Just was thinking that if what I had could work, I would stick with it. But probably best not to, huh. Thanks again.
Janet

michaeltx

if its those black stands they are made for the tank rim to to sit on the edge of the stand there are risers in the middle so the tank will sit right and stay in one place. the only thing is if it doesnt hot all the way around then it will NOT work their will be to much stress on the tank and could cause it to crack or split its seams.
most AGA tanks around that size are made so the tank rim does most of the support.
make sense
Mike

tlk

Welcome to the board MichaelTX! make your own stand. It will look exactly how you want it to look and fit your specs as well. They are VERY easy to make.
Good luck!

michaeltx

hey TLK I have been here for a long time LOL
january 2002 was this times sign in I lost my old sign in and all that. but BlueCedars is that one that was asking about it ;-Þ
Mike

bluecedars

Thanks, Mike. Yes it is the one that you build and it is black. Actually, I thought it was rather ugly and didn't match my tank at all. Back to square one. Going to see about doing some trading now.
Thanks all for the welcome and support.
Janet

michaeltx

yeah they arent the prettiest things are they LOL
but in a pinch they do the job.
look for a stand that is all open in the bottom so that you have a place for equipment and all the goodies that need a place to go LOL
Mike

bluecedars

Thank you, I will. This thing is not going to work. Friend who runs a pet shop said she just got in a 50 gallon tank with matching stand and she might trade. I told her it was ugly but she's still willing to work a trade. Works for me. Thanks again.
Janet