Tank Stand: To Build or Buy

aftrhrs

I have been kicking this idea around for a little while. Next spring I am planning on getting a 265 gallon tank. While from the exterior the stands look pretty good, they just don't seem as sturdy as the home built 2 X 4 constructed stands. Being an engineer I tend to "over engineer" my own stuff. I would hate to think of the sound a 265 gallon tank would make when it comes crashing down in the middle of the night. I know I can build a solid base but what do you guys use to cover it up and for some molding work? Pics would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,

cboyfan2020

Building your own stand would save you a ton of money as well as being able to make it like you want with little side doors etc. I can email you a sight that has some base plans to go off of.

dockery07

Here is my stand. My husband is an engineer also and this is way over built. The stand weights 300lbs or so.

rookie

AFTRHRS - If you are going to build that tank I am very interested in seeing pictures of your process and find out how things are going. I am planning on building a tank myself in the next year or two here and am starting my research now to make sure I know what I want to do and hopefully avoid as many pitfalls as I can. Please email me and let me know how stuff is going and what you are planning. NickSchwarzrock@aol.com.
Thanks,
Nick

entice59

Originally posted by cboyfan2020
Building your own stand would save you a ton of money as well as being able to make it like you want with little side doors etc. I can email you a sight that has some base plans to go off of.

could you send me one also? thanks
flare59@juno.com