Tank switch from fresh to salt water

itsmesiva

Hello everyone i am trying to switch a 90G tank that was a fresh water set up with fluval canister filter to saltwate. My question is will the established microbes in the filter help with my saltwater too or is that a different microbes for saltwater in getting the tank cycled. I do have about 15 lbs of live rock that i am going to add to the tank and may be a couple of damsels. Would appreciate your help. Thank you in advance for your inputs

Originally Posted by itsmesiva
http:///forum/post/3245323
Hello everyone i am trying to switch a 90G tank that was a fresh water set up with fluval canister filter to saltwate. My question is will the established microbes in the filter help with my saltwater too or is that a different microbes for saltwater in getting the tank cycled. I do have about 15 lbs of live rock that i am going to add to the tank and may be a couple of damsels. Would appreciate your help. Thank you in advance for your inputs
The first thing you,ll want to do is drain your tank completely clean it and all your equipment thoroughly. Your freshwater sytem can't be coverted into a saltwater system. Also you are going to need more than 15lbs. of live rock in your tank. I cant stress its importance enough, to help maintain a healthy aquarium. I wouldn't add the damsel fish either, once they set up shop they will terrorize your tank. You can cycle your tank by simply using live rock. Then you wont have to catch the damsel fish when your system has been established

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3245323
Just adding to my drivel above. Like Killer Whale said, avoid damsels at all costs. Many lfs push them as "cycle starters--which is totally unnecessary and cruel. IMO, you really need to do some serious reading before you start so the advice you get makes sense. There is no reason your canister can't get you started in SW; but your tank will have to be fish-only without more LR. The canister will also need more frequent cleaning than it did in FW. I assume your filter uses some kind of ceramic material to harbor bacteria colonies. This will partially work for SW--just keep the media rinsed, not scrubbed. This media will handle ammonia and nitrite well, but not nitrate. There are other ways to handle nitrate; IMO, LR is the best. Nitrates are not a big deal in FW, but are deadly (above a certain level) to corals and other inverts. A good water changing routine should keep your nitrates at an acceptable level for SW fish--they handle nitrates much better than SW inverts. The bacteria in a FW system will die in SW, so you need to start over in that area. Then, as this addiction takes hold, be prepared to sell, re-finance, or pawn everything you own....and go slowly, I am the world's most impatient person and this hobby has taught me plenty.

itsmesiva

I have bought another 20lbs LR and just started the tank with it. NO FISH. I am planing to keep FO with LR. The tank stand wont let me accomodate a sump. Well thanks for the hint about the cost of things with saltwater. I will go slow...will follow the forum posting as well. Thanks again for responding.

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3245595
I have bought another 20lbs LR and just started the tank with it. NO FISH. I am planing to keep FO with LR. The tank stand wont let me accomodate a sump. Well thanks for the hint about the cost of things with saltwater. I will go slow...will follow the forum posting as well. Thanks again for responding.
Here's a good thread on the water cycle.https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/vb/s...hreadid=116184
Also, I'd the 101 tips.....thread at the top of the new hobbiests thread menu. This forum is fantastic, I've learned many things here that I could find nowhere else. Remember, what you read is almost always an opinion and there are a lot of areas in SW fishkeeping that are still argued daily. (like the tap water statement in the above thread.) IMO, our hobby/addiction is still in the "learning every day' phase.

hawkfishman

i actually went FW to brakish a while back for my GPS. it was in a 5 gallon though. it did good, just had some odd white algae crop up. but im getting ready to do a coral tank with either the 5 gallon tank or move my one cichlid back to the other tank and use the 10 gallon he is in.