Tank Take-Over

clem1999

I have been on a month long work assignment and came home to this (see pictures). It is some kind of algae on the glass and rocks. The color appears to be more tan instead of green but feels gritty as if sand is embedded into the algae.
Please ID and let me know what my options are to eliminate this outbreak and get my tank under control.
It is a 180 gallon tank with 2 clowns & 1 sixline wrasse.
There is also a few snails and a few hermits.

abclemen

Anyone please...
I would really like to start some kind of treatment (i.e. CUC, chemical, etc) based on recommendations.
Thank you.

nolson

Hello,
I am by no means an expert on Algae, But I would say that in a 180 you need to have more of a cleanup crew than a few crabs and snails. They are truly essential. Some people have success without them but I'd say that number is far less than people that have proper cleanup crews.
So I would start by getting a much better cleanup crew and doing your research. In my research it seems most blooms such as yours are caused by a heavy imbalance in your system, Id start by figuring out where that is coming from. Most likely Phosphate id try and track down where it is coming from or came from. Also, is their direct light hitting your tank? How long are your lights on? What type of lights are they? When were they last replaced.
This is just a start. Hopefully it will help you.

clem1999

Thanks for the feedback.
My wife and I pulled out every piece of rock to brush it off and clean off the sand that was embedded into the algae or onto the rock. The sand used is Marco fine sand. While their rock is great, I would be hesitant to try the sand again. Also there appeared to be a "dead" smell on some rocks with the sand all over I guess from choking out whatever was there.
I tested the water including Phosphate. Results were zero and I performed the reference test to verify. Also zero ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.
Lighting is blue 6AM to 8PM; white 7AM to 6PM; and LEDs during the night. What should this be adjusted to? It is in the basement so no natural light hits the tank. The lighting system is less than a year old.
I bought 10 Margaritas and will be ordering hermits. What quantities are recommended for snails and hermits for a 180 gallon?
Thank you.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem1999 http:///t/393174/tank-take-over#post_3496308
Thanks for the feedback.
My wife and I pulled out every piece of rock to brush it off and clean off the sand that was embedded into the algae or onto the rock. The sand used is Marco fine sand. While their rock is great, I would be hesitant to try the sand again. Also there appeared to be a "dead" smell on some rocks with the sand all over I guess from choking out whatever was there.
I tested the water including Phosphate. Results were zero and I performed the reference test to verify. Also zero ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.
Lighting is blue 6AM to 8PM; white 7AM to 6PM; and LEDs during the night. What should this be adjusted to? It is in the basement so no natural light hits the tank. The lighting system is less than a year old.
I bought 10 Margaritas and will be ordering hermits. What quantities are recommended for snails and hermits for a 180 gallon?
Thank you.
Hi, +1 on a larger CUC
You have a 0 phosphate reading because the algae is feeding on it. Believe me you have a ton of phosphates. Water changes will help bring down the phosphates and put the water back in proper parameters. You don't need light if you don't have corals, the fish do not need light but algae does...so turn it off. Cleaning the rocks in saltwater I hope, if so, good it will help.... if not and you used tap water, you killed your live rock and you are about to have a major spike of ammonia.

clem1999

Additional CUC is on it's way. Any recommendations on how many of each type for a 180 gallon?
The phosphate theory makes sense so I will increase water changes. I am just surprised to see zero.
Lighting will be reduced significantly.
We used water from the tank so there will not be a spike.
Thank you.

luvmyreef

That actually looks like hair algae that is dying because it looks pale in the pics. It would help if you cut back on your lighting schedule. Anyway, just get an assortment of snails, margaritas, banded trochus, mexican turbos, ceriths, nass. And add either blue or red legged hermits. I would also use a hose to suction off the algae on the glass, dont scrape it into the tank. Do you use RO/DI water or distilled? In the long run you can change out that sand if you are having problems with it. Also the reason your not seeing any phos is because the algae feeds off of it and nitrates. It would be a good idea to run a filter media that helps to remove it. OH, and what are you feeding the fish? Flakes maybe? They add phos and ash to a tank which is food for the algae. Use frozen. Hope this helps.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem1999 http:///t/393174/tank-take-over#post_3496412
Additional CUC is on it's way. Any recommendations on how many of each type for a 180 gallon?
The phosphate theory makes sense so I will increase water changes. I am just surprised to see zero.
Lighting will be reduced significantly.
We used water from the tank so there will not be a spike.
Thank you.
All macro algae feeds on phosphates and nitrates, I'm afraid hair algae is a macro. So while it looks like crap and suffocates the corals, it is good for keeping the water parameters on the PO4 and NO3 a perfect beautiful 0. LOL...I prefer other types of macros right in my display tank, but most folks grow them in the refugium.