TANK TEMP PROBLEM

mini-reefer

There is 100 lbs that was shipped from Fiji that I cured in the tank. Then there is is about 20-30 lbs I moved from a previous 34 gallon reef. All in all, Id say 125 lbs to be safe. I think its nice and full. :)

maury

I have been maintaining my tank between 81 and 84 degrees, as this is the norm for upper water reef temps from the Indo-Pacific region. This from Eric Borneman's book:
"Although it has been recommended in the past that aquarium temperatures should be maintained between 24 and 27 degrees C (75 to 80 degrees F), the natural temperature of many Indo-Pacific reefs, especially in the shallow areas where most corals are collected, is higher than 27 degrees C (80 F)
It had always been assumed that temperatures lower than natural levels prevented the rapid growth of unsightly algal films on the aquarium glass and lessened the proliferation of problem hair algae. Recent trends favor maintaining somewhat more natural reef temperatures of 27-29 degrees C (80-84 degrees F)
The reason behind this increase is that the entire metabolism of the tank is raised, including those of the microbial community, detritus-processing organisms, and herbivores. Furthermore, it is a more natural temperature for many reef animals. The increased rates of calcification at these temperatures should, therefore, not be offset by increasing algal growth, unless the system is mismanaged."

wrassecal

My lights are enclosed also. My husband built a 3 sided frame to set the lights and the glass on. click on the house to see pics. Only cost about $15 and got the light and the glass 5 inches off the top of tank so now good air flow and tank temp stays stable.

anthony812

hi i wouldnt reccomend this but my tank stayed at 87 for 2 days and nothing died so i think 82 is a good temp to be in but not good for xenias

ed r

I agree with keeping a reef tank in the 82 degree range. It also makes it easier to keep the temperature stable. If you have a heater set to keep the temp at 80 or 81, and your lights raise it to 83, you have a very narrow temperature range. If your heater lets it drop to 76 at night, the 83 degrees that your lights may cause is a big change for the livestock to have to adjust to.